Book Review :The Night Stalker

• Thread starter Baldricks Batman
  • Start date
B

Baldricks Batman

Amazon product
Possibly Americas most frightening serial killer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez

Well i'll start by saying this is far from my normal reading material and its likely to be the last as I have no paticular fascination with serial killers ,although I must say the US ones do seem a lot more interesting than the ones from any other country imho ,perhaps the vastness of America ensures this that and the fact America Is an [apparently] an advanced nation.

So the story is fairly straight forward Richard Ramirez grows up in a hard working but ultimately dysfunctional family ,he is the last of five children born to Mexican parents in El Paso Texas .During his childhood we find that several things perhaps placed him on this path of being pure and utter Evil ,his mother was poisoned at her place of works ,his father when things were going wrong repeatedly smashed his own head against a wall drawing blood ,Ramirez himself suffered several unfortunate head injurys like being hit by a swing and knocked out this resulted in his epilepsy .But perhaps the most interesting aspect of his formative youth was his own cousin Mike he was a veteran green beret having served two tours in Vietnam during which he took part in the Slaughters and rapes of local villagers ,of which he photographed these events ie he tied the women to a tree then raped them after which he beheaded them ,the odd thing was when he returned he began socializing with the younger Ramirez who was about ten years old at this time,he taught everything about the dark arts of killing and stalking his prey ,Ramirez used to head out into the desert an hunt animals alone it was here his techniques of killing were perfected .

The big episode of his life up to this point however was when Mike killed his wife in front of Ramirez [he was about thirteen] his cousin shot her in the living room ,he then told Ramirez not to mention that he was a witness to anyone ,he kept his mouth shut for decades ! in fact it was only after his killing spree was it ever discovered that he'd been present .

So then fast forward ten or so years we find Ramirez living in the downtown flea pit areas of LA he generally stayed in a notorious hotel known as the Cecil ,he was surviving by stealing cars and burglary ,until 1984 [although we do not find out about this crime in the book] when he raped and strangled an eight year old girl .His crimes were originally thought to have started in 1985 in which he brutally murdered a woman in her home ,he then went on to become known as the Night Stalker his MO was quite simple load himself full of drugs steal a car drive it anywhere whilst listening to the likes of AC/DC and Billy Idol pull up in usually remote areas and the like a fox break in to the propertys in the early hours of the morning ,if there were any men in the house he slide up to them as they were asleep and shoot them behind the ear ,then he'd rape the wife [and children although this is not mention] tie them up steal anything worth while and drive off as morning was breaking , clearly leaving utter turmoil in their lives NEVER to be forgotten .His sadism for his victims became a source of absolute terror in California when he invaded a house killed the man then cut out and stole the eyes of one woman, he eventually killed at least 14 people. .

So then as for the book I think it a superb read I do have major bug bears with it as to how much was padding in some of Philip Carlos descriptions ,he apparently spent some 100 hours interviewing him as well as many people involved in the case ,the book is essentially in four chapters one his crimes ,two his biography ,three the trial and four the woman who follow him and fall in love with him ,his crimes are not explained in an overly graphic way and it has to be said for some reason he has glossed over the fact that he was a child rapist my own opinion of this is perhaps rather cynical ie it would kill the sale of the book and his apparent rock star serial killer status although it may have been rightly for victim protection ,who knows ?

The trial phase is long [you have been warned] but imho it is well worth reading if only to show just how useless the US justice system was/is ,the patch work nature of the US policing system is bought to light ,it also shows how he came close to walking FREE because everyone had had enough of the time it was taking .

Lastly it talks about the women [lots of them] who ended up becoming infatuated with him ,one juror became a private detective just so she could avoid the perspect glass and sit with him AFTER his conviction another wrote that she wanted to be raped by him [with the blood of his victims on his cock] then murdered by him in a cemetery

As a piece of crime writing on the evils of man I think it a superb read

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted 20555

Interestingly enough apparently there are about 200 odd serial killers wandering around the US of A at any one time and America has more serial killers than anywhere else.

Try these for a different view on serial killers.

http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/

B

Baldricks Batman

Interestingly enough apparently there are about 200 odd serial killers wandering around the US of A at any one time and America has more serial killers than anywhere else.

Try these for a different view on serial killers.

http://www.johnconnollybooks.com/

Because of the patch work police forces or law enforcement agency'S [with a big S] the book mentions officers refusing to allow other neibouring officers already investigating his crimes access to the newer crime scene because of inter police service rivalry ! its hardly suprising so many maniacs area on the loose .

S

Spider39

They are releasing a film about this book "starring" Lou Diamond Philips apparently ,no doubt straight to DVD .

Not a bad review BB, perhaps you could shorten it a little and check your spelling and punctuation. It read a little like a creative writing piece from school.

Keep going though. Good luck.

B

Baldricks Batman

Not a bad review BB, perhaps you could shorten it a little and check your spelling and punctuation. It read a little like a creative writing piece from school.

Keep going though. Good luck.

I feel like you have raped me and are now attempting to convince me you've actually made luv to me ,I don't now whether I should thank you for it .

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a character in an episode of criminal minds, played by Tim curry - sounds similar?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

There's a character in an episode of criminal minds, played by Tim curry - sounds similar?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Did he use his Frankenfurter?

My post was intended to be constructive, not in any way derogatory and I'd hoped that it would have been accepted in that manner.

S

Spider39

A potentially good story ruined by an author who was probable looking at writing the film script .

very disappointing with so much creative licence it can hardly be called a serious factual book ,there are interesting bits but frankly nothing much you do not find on wiki ,it is also the oddest looking book format you will see, mass marketing ie a ridiculously thick ,small but "blocky" book .

apparently the author spent countless hours with the guy well all I can say is shame that it was this author and not a genuinely serious author of true factual crime work ,

i'd give it three out of five and that is being generous ,amazing how so many on amazon give it five

edit thank god I never bought his other work of absolute fiction ,The Ice Man