Book recommendation

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Jun 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, im looking for a bit of help looking for a book and thought best ask here rather than the literature section due to its topic. Im looking to learn about human behaviour, understanding peoples thinking and why they react to certain situations in different ways. I know amazon is full of them, but i dont know which ones are good (not pop-book crap) and are good with no background knowledge of psychology.

Yes i know, its a bit of an odd one to ask about, but it seems a pretty interesting topic, especially after having a vague chat about it down the pub (hence the vague) last night with an old friend who knows a fair bit about it from doing psychology. Thanks in advance.
  2. Yes! 50 Secrets from the Science of Persuasion (Paperback)
    by N. Goldstein; S. Martin; R. Cialdini

Just finished reading this. Not very detailed but it realy does show up some quite amazing facts about how we think about and react to things and the way this info can be used for advertising, management etc.

As I said not a heavy book but the paperback is (IMHO) well worth a read. I intend to re-read it in a couple of weeks/months to try some some of the suggestions.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Try 'An Introduction to Cognitive Psychology' by David Groome. A good way to start. Or, 'The psycho-analytical process' by Donald Meltzer, a quite difficult but very informative read.
  4. old_fat_and_hairy

Sorry, even the great Dale carnegie can't help you there.
  5. Human Instinct by Sir Robert Winston.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Small Synopsis for you:

From caveman to modern man ...Few people doubt that humans are descended from the apes; fewer still consider, let alone accept, the psychological implications. But in truth, man not only looks, moves and breathes like an ape, he also thinks like one. Sexual drive, survival, competition, aggression - all of our impulses are driven by our human instincts. They explain why a happily married man will fantasize about the pretty, slim, young woman sitting across from him in the tube and why thousands of people spend their week entirely focused on whether their team will win their next crucial match.

I've always been intrigued by my own behaviour and what makes me tick so I found it an absolutely fascinating read. Sorry if that sounds abit new age.
  6. If your looking for Military related try:

Dixon, Dr. Norman F. On the Psychology of Military Incompetence Jonathan Cape Ltd 1976 / Pimlico 1994

"This unique and penetrating book surveys 100 years of military inefficiency from the Crimean War, through the Boer conflict, to the disasterous campaigns of the First World War and the calamities of the Second. It examines the social psychology of military organizations, provides case studies of individual commanders and identifies an alarming pattern in the causes of military disaster.
    Fascinating read."
  7. We're all descended from them, so by all accounts we all are!

(Unless you believe in the bible).
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

No we are not! Check your e mail for the real facts! Blasphemer! Sinner!
  9. Not to mention his "coffee-table" version, "Manwatching".
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Try reading Mein Kampf - you definately dont need to be a trick cyclist to figure the author out......
  11. Now you're beginning to sound like a Catholic priest. Knowing you, you've got the outfit!

Seriously though, it's a good book - Human Instinct I mean, not the bible. Too many contradictions in that one for me to comprehend.
  12. there was a psychology book i read in the 80s called "squaddies". not seen it since tho.

it spent a lot of time analysing why we call each other after girls bits :)
  13. old_fat_and_hairy

Kneel before me and I will give you absolution, for a small penance.
  14. Yeah right :roll: . It's far too chauvinistic when you think about Catholiscism. Pity, the basics are good. It has just got lost along the way by greed in the church. Small men dressed in funny outfits, whatever next!

I'm a lost cause anyway.
  15. old_fat_and_hairy

Maybe to that particular branch of the Church, but come to my branch, join my congregation and you can be saved.
    Catholicism is all based on guilt. OFAHism has no guilt. The creed is simple but good. Do it.