Book Publishing

Long time Lurker, first time poster
don't crucify me on etiquette

so im ex RE, and ive got a mate who ex Russian SF whos wrote a book (in russian) about his life thats somewhat popular in Russian. I suggested that if he bothered to translate it to english it could have some success over here with the whole eastern mystery niche over usually SAS/SEALS ect stuff on the market

but im a virgin with this stuff, so do any of you have any info on book publishing? im asking here ofc as im hoping some of you have exp specifically in military publishing and have some ideas on publishers interested in military specifically

ty in advance

It needs to be translated properly. What might be easily readable in Russian might be tedious and hard work in English. I translated some German a few years back, but did so in a way as to make it informative and easy to read. It's not simply a case of pasting the entire manuscript into Systran.

Other than that, if it's SF-themed then I can see it being snapped up by one of the usual suspects. Failing that, there's always...

Clunge Publishing

It needs to be translated properly. What might be easily readable in Russian might be tedious and hard work in English. I translated some German a few years back, but did so in a way as to make it informative and easy to read. It's not simply a case of pasting the entire manuscript into Systran.
yeah i get that, im more just curious to float a few ideas and possible routes than any major effort rn

his english is practically fluent, but yeah its been mentioned that some of the phrases won't translate well.

so im ex RE, and ive got a mate who ex Russian SF whos wrote a book (in russian) about his life thats somewhat popular in Russian. I suggested that if he bothered to translate it to english it could have some success over here with the whole eastern mystery niche over usually SAS/SEALS ect stuff on the market

but im a virgin with this stuff, so do any of you have any info on book publishing? im asking here ofc as im hoping some of you have exp specifically in military publishing and have some ideas on publishers interested in military specifically

ty in advance
Hello mate,

I spent two years trying to get published via the traditional route. Catch 66 is the Agent needed to send your submission to a publishing house. There must be some that do not insist that they only take on writers who have previously been published traditionally, and none of the publishers I approached will accept submissions from the writers themselves.

Pen & Sword are a UK based military genre publisher.

PEN & SWORD

I went the Indy route through Kindle self-publishing and also paperback and hardback through 'Lulu'. I do not recommend self-publishing audio books unless you have a lot of cash to hire a decent voice actor, plus, the audio publisher gets 70% of the royalties.

With Kindle you get 70% of the royalties but publicity is down to you.... you also get those godawful US tax returns to do.

There are a few tips and warnings about pitfalls and ripoff merchants here on my old blog, and links that may help. There are more fake editors and agents, artists and 'publishing experts' out there than the genuine ones.
Tips and links
If you need a good template, all set up for a 6"x9" paperback that can be formatted for eBook, email me at 176382@gmail.com and I will wing one your way. Make a master blank manuscript before you start.

ALWAYS back up manually onto at least three storage devices. Don't trust your software to do it automatically and I guarantee you will get a major crash at some point (I lost over 50k words once).

You do not need to pay someone £500 - £1000 to format your manuscript for paper or digital, you can do it yourself, and that template is a major help. Do the paper version first then follow the Aussie guys YouTube 'how to' to format for eBook that is in the tips link.

For a good, original book cover, try Yuri Platov via Yuri Platov at DeviantArt he is very versatile , Military, Fantasy, SF and a very interesting guy, ex-Soviet Paratrooper. He did my cover for the current work in progress.
Yuri's 'Warrior Princess' cover

Or, Sanju Nivangune, who paints the covers for the Lady Death comic books, he does my military genre covers for 'Shaw'. Sanju at DeviantArt the guy is an artistic genius in any art medium you can mention.
Sanju's 'Shaw' cover

Last edited:
I tagged you as (unless im mistaken) thought you knew a thing or two about publishing, and couild maybe advise the OP?
I hadn't had my second cup of coffee when I read it. Cheers, I have posted some advice and links for him, mate.

Zhopa

LE
thanks for all the quick helpful advice. ill read through what you've posted and at least have a more informative discussion with him about it.
dunno how serious he is about the whole thing, like has been said translation is a major hurdle, not just in understanding but to make it not a chore to read.

thanks for all the quick helpful advice. ill read through what you've posted and at least have a more informative discussion with him about it.
dunno how serious he is about the whole thing, like has been said translation is a major hurdle, not just in understanding but to make it not a chore to read.
do you need a translator, she will charge but she is good
She regular used the words mong, doolali, bloodclot ,raggamuffin etc when we worked together

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Is he likely to incur any interest from Vlads touring Cathedral measuring and perfume distribution company ?
sometimes the russkis can be a little narked if secrets are quoted to the outside world ?

Is he likely to incur any interest from Vlads touring Cathedral measuring and perfume distribution company ?
sometimes the russkis can be a little narked if secrets are quoted to the outside world ?

I once stumbled across, and had a look at their VDV (airborne) forum (with the help of an online translator) and to be honest they twaddle away about things just like we do on here. I saw references to African deployments and adventures in Afghanistan. So as long as he is not giving away any State secrets he should be fine, especially as the OP mentioned that the book has been published in the Russian language already.

Hello mate,

I spent two years trying to get published via the traditional route. Catch 66 is the Agent needed to send your submission to a publishing house. There must be some that do not insist that they only take on writers who have previously been published traditionally, and none of the publishers I approached will accept submissions from the writers themselves.

Pen & Sword are a UK based military genre publisher.

PEN & SWORD

Pen & Sword accept synopsis from writers themselves. That's how I got my works published. I was lucky, I picked my publisher carefully, and it was the first synopsis I sent out. I know at current they're desperately seeking new writers.

1: Write a synopsis. Read up online on what a synopsis is meant to be, and how to do a good one. That said there's lots of blogs which say different things, so read several, and aggregate the results. There's actually more to it than you might think, for example include a section on competitor works and what what else is out there. If you've had good sales figures already, include them!

2: Don't expect to be making much cash. You want cash, self-publish. You're doing this for the fame of a proper book in book shops. Generally you'll see £1-2 per book sale, although stuff like ACLS can top you up a bit. P&S offer an advance of £500 on signature of contract, and £500 on day of publication. But this is an advance, and will be recouped from the sales you make. It's designed to cover costs of publishing, such as point #3. So if you're making £2 per book you need to sell 500 copies before you'll see another penny from P&S. But as noted, ACLS will be paying out (small amounts) in that period.

3: Biggest and nastiest surprise to me was you are responsible for the licencing of any pictures to be included in the book. This can get bloody expensive, bloody fast. for example I made enquiries on including a modern news story picture, they wanted £250 for that one picture. Another time a Museum quoted me a figure of about £800 for 11 images.

One thing about P&S is their office functions are a bit slow. So you might need to maintain contact with them.

ty in advance
Translation is rather expensive unless you have friend with the necessary language and grammar skills.
I once had a yen to have my first books translated into both Russian and French but lacked the 14k I was quoted for each by a professional agency. I therefore found a Jobless Russian language student and a retired French teacher, both twiddling their thumbs at their various homes. I offered them a straight cash payment of 4k each, which they initially accepted before going online to see what the professional literary translators charged per word.
So far as I know they are still twiddling their thumbs and certainly not enriched by 4k the taxman would have known nothing of.