Book for judo?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a long absence I'm planning on getting back into my Judo. To help bridge the knowledge fade gap I'm hoping somebody on here could recommend a good Judo book to help refresh me on the basics and relearn moves. But also help me learn new ones to try out when sparring. Thanks in advance.
  2. Mlar! Obviously i should have googled for book reviews and not books. Thanks Werewolf ill go give it a look.
  3. Glad to be able to help. After all, it only took me 5 seconds(puts the boot in)to find that site...

All joking aside, best of luck getting back into the Gentle Art. One of the most Nails martial arts out there, as anyone who's ever been on the mats with a decent Judoka will confirm.
  4. Remember though, you can't learn Judo from a book. Your best bet is find a club in your area with a good reputation and just get back on the mat. BTW, the rules have changed over recent times regarding gradings. Kyu gradings are now 'non-competitive' in that they are done by demonstration of technique within a club environment, although Dan gradings may still be done competitively. Not everything is progress IMHO.
  5. Jimmy_Green no need to worry. Im going back to my old club which is very good, im merely looking for an aid to help me get back into it more quickly without being rag dolled too much.
  6. Seconded. The reason Judo is such a strong art is that people had to fight for their grades. When the Gracie family were developing BJJ, this is one of the things they took from Judo. And in the vast majority of BJJ academies, you have to fight for your Belt; it can take well over a year of regular training and sometimes competition as well to get the first(Blue)Belt in BJJ.
  7. I believe it's out of print now, but an excellent, comprehensive, clearly written little book is Sid Hoare's 'Teach Yourself Judo'. (The stupid title wasn't his idea, it was part of a popular 'Teach Yourself...' series). Should be easy enough to get 2nd hand. If you want a comprehensive guide to techniques rather than history, competition etc, see 'A-Z of Judo' by the same man.

Hoare was my instructor at the Budokwai for a time. In addition to being a superb British Olympian and a phenomenal Judoka he was, bar none, the best teacher I've ever had (of anything, not just Judo). Just watching him move across the mats was an education.
  8. I started judo again in June after a 16 year gap and loving every minute of it! It's amazing how things gradually come back to you even after 16 years. I bought the A-Z of Judo a couple of months ago and although it isn't completely up-to-date it is proving to be a very good reference. The bext piece if advice I can give you is once you've got your BJA licence, go to as many practices as possible. There is a practice at the Budokwai on Saturday afternoons for beginners if you can get there - you get instruction from top instructors including a former Olmpic medallist!
  9. My ex & my daughter both train at the Budokwai, awesome club!

Fox Jr is the one with the BIG hair!

10. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I had the great privilege of being taught by Billy and Loretta Cusack, by far the best judo coaches I have ever met; they are still coaching world beaters in Edinburgh.
  11. Attacking Judo, published by Ippon books is a very good guide to effective combinations.

Accept no substitute; Kodokan Judo by Professor Kano. Often sold cheap by shops who don't appreciate value. I got mine for £1 in a Waterstones clearance!

Good luck on the mat, Hajime!
  12. Funny that this thread should pop up; I've been wondering recently about taking up Judo, having been introduced to boxing by my trainer, who's a BJJ practitioner. I have no experience in martial arts, nor any interest in fighting; would Judo be a good choice of MA to pursue, generally speaking?

I gather that Judo is based on using one's opponent's weight against them, and that it can be very exacting at its higher levels; is that so?
  13. Now I know each MA student will say their way is the way, but I would recommend Judo to anyone.

At a basic level, it's about minimum application of energy to a disturbed point of balance; and as a normal sized bloke I have up-ended man-mountains.

Set down by Jigoro Kano in 1882 and adopted by the Japanese police shortly after, it became an Olympic sport at the 1964 games (which was the first time a japanese was defeated).

The syllabus, the gokyo, has throws, sweeps, locks and strangles/chokes all of which are developed through formal practice and randori (free practice).

Sport judo developed fitness and can be very heavy exercise, but it also instills courtesy and discipline (which was Professor Kano's aim).

I'd also add it's been more use to me than the Home Office 'officers safety training' I have to suffer in the police; in the times when it has gone wrong at work, my limited experience of judo has kept me safe when open-handed was the appropriate choice.

British Judo Association

Give it a spin mate, it worked for me. Drew me out of my shell when I started university and never looked back. Most judoka I've met have been friendly types, bimble along as most clubs have a spare judogi you can borrow while you work out if you fancy it.

All the belts 'n' whistles are explained here

Judo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good popular history is The Pyjama Game

The Pyjama Game: A Journey into Judo: Mark Law: Books
  14. I had a great book when I 1st learned Judo. It was very basic, with green/black illustrations. Nothing special, but taught the basic moves. No idea what it was called, it was 25 years ago, or so. I'd be amazed if it's still published.