Book competition - The Manner of Men

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Auld-Yin, May 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Colonel Stuart Tootal has written this book about the life of 9 PARA. It is a warts 'n all account of the battalion, how it trained and what actions it took part in. Joker62 went along to listen to a talk given by Col Tootal and his account of that can be found here.

There are 5 copies to be won and to get your hands on one just complete the entry form correctly and you are in with a chance. Entry form can be found here.

Manner of Men.jpg

Competition runs until Sunday 26th May at about midday.

2. I've entered as I have a signed copy but will be auctioning it off later and will need a replacement.

3. I've just been all round Google in a most convoluted way to the find the bloody answers.

Does that count in my favour, or does it just mean I'm a plonker? :)

4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The latter, sadly.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1

5. Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I guess I had a bit of a head start by going to the talk :D

6. Auld-Yin

Well done Lumpy2, it is encouraging to see people put in a good effort. Mind you, I would have been even more impressed if you had answered all the questions correctly! :crash:

7. Confounded buggeration!!!!! Just realised what you're referring to. If only I'd chosen the easy option :-(

8. Question 2 does not have a correct answer to choose.... ;-)

However, I have selected the next 'best' answer...

• Like Like x 1
  9. I noticed that.

Sent from beyond the grave using the Force.

10. HHH

HHH LE

If you read the review by Joker, you might like me have to change your minds!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'll stand by my statement. The question is "who was the first CO". That individual is not listed in the multiple guessiontairre.

12. Auld-Yin

OK, having read the comments it would appear that tiny_lewis is correct and the three choices were not first in the hot-seat for 9 PARA. I took my question from paradata.org.uk so I suppose I should have known better than to go with something put together by the fall-out-of-the-sky-guys! Mind you, nothing on 'tinterweb is really sound info!

However, having said that, and having looked a bit further into this, the first CO (not including the Infantry CO who was considered too old when the Bn moved over to para) does not seem to shout this command very loudly. His own wiki entry lists his commands and while mentioning 9 Para in the list, it is not mentioned in the blurb of his military history. Looking at other sources it seems to have been a stepping stone for this guy to higher things and not something of significance to him, or other historians.

Back to the question in hand, just look at the options given and take the first one from that list to have held the post of CO 9 PARA. All three in the options have held that post at some time or other. So crack on, I am not changing the competition, which at the end of the day is just a bit of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Auld-Yin

Quite a few of you seem to be getting hung up on Q2 which asks who was the first CO of 9 PARA. Just go to the unit histories and work out the timeline for commanders and it will become clear.

To make the question more clear: From the three names given, chose the one to have held the post of CO 9 PARA at the earliest date.

All three officers have been CO of 9 PARA, you only have to work out which of these was first in the hot seat.

Book review by Former Fyrdman now available here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/1541-manner-men-stuart-tootal.html

14. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What ever happened to the no clues rule!

15. Auld-Yin