Book competition: Dad's War by Chris Tarrant

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Chris Tarrant, of Who Wants to be a Millionaire fame has written a book about his father's war. The book came about from a TV programme in which Tarrant was taken back to look at his father's career and realised how little he actually knew about his own Dad.Taken from discussions with former comrades who went through the trials and tribulations, Tarrant has brought us a story of a brave infantry officer, Major Basil Avery Tarrant MC.

There are 6 copies up for grabs and as ever to have a chance of winning one of these copies, just complete the short questionnaire correctly. The entry form can be found here: Dad's War.

The competition will run until Sunday 6th July and will close sometime on that day!

The book has been reviewed, and that review can be found by clicking here:

Dad's War.jpg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Likewise, I'm on a roll, an egg and bacon roll!

HHH

GCM
Entered.

HHH

GCM

squeekingsapper

LE
Kit Reviewer
Looks an interesting story, so I have banged in an entry.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As long as I don't have to read anything about the son of the title I'll give this a go.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Still a while to go, this comp will close on Sunday so get your entry in asap. Q1 is causing people some issues and only 45% have it correct at the moment!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Competition now closed and winners and answers are as follows:

Winners
Gout Man
joint force harrier
andy cap
stokers plaything
Padme
MG Maniac

Hope you all enjoy the book - emails have gone out requesting contact details.

Answers:

Q1 The MOTH came into being as a brotherhood of South-African front line soldiers allowing soldiers who had had shots fired at them in anger in the Boer War and subsequent wars, to join together as a charitable organisation. .This expanded to cover areas all over the globe and encompassing former enemies

Q2 The Royal Berkshire Regt were known as the Biscuit Boys, due to that industry being prominent in their recruiting area.

Q3 The character from the Chris Tarrant show played by his father at the Albert Hall was The Phantom Flan Flinger.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sometimes you don't mind not winning!

Damn it, I got No 1 right as well, next time it'll the 'old raspberry blower of ol' London town', !!!

He was talking about his Dad at the D-Day memorial last month. He seemed very passionate when talking on the subject and became very tearful. He showed great respect for the Armed Forces.

I just don't like the way he sucks in air over his teeth when he talks.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sometimes you don't mind not winning!
Actually, you are missing quite a good book. It is not about Tarrant minor but about Tarrant pater and he does a fairly good job of telling his Dad's story. Obviously he has to come in to the story as he explains how his father recovered from serious wounds and went on to success in raising a family and in business, but even then he keeps himself in he proper place.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds a good read, I look forward to reading it. Thank you.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Actually, you are missing quite a good book. It is not about Tarrant minor but about Tarrant pater and he does a fairly good job of telling his Dad's story. Obviously he has to come in to the story as he explains how his father recovered from serious wounds and went on to success in raising a family and in business, but even then he keeps himself in he proper place.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I should a smiley face at my last post to show it was not meant to be taken too seriously.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Q1 The MOTH came into being as a brotherhood of South-African front line soldiers allowing soldiers who had had shots fired at them in anger in the Boer War and subsequent wars, to join together as a charitable organisation. .This expanded to cover areas all over the globe and encompassing former enemies

AY, may I ask where you found this information please ?

Latest Threads