• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Book Club Reviewers – Recruitment Drive

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Reviews Section has been going for some months now and we have over 100 reviews in the Book Reviews section. That has been a fantastic effort by all the reviewers.

As time goes on, some have to leave and some have other work and time commitments which mean they can no longer devote the time required to reviewing books. Plus now that publishers and authors are seeing the fruits of the work of the reviewers we are receiving more and more requests for Arrse to review books.

If you think you would like to become one of the reviewers, and have the time to commit to it then drop me a PM. I am particularly looking for serving soldiers to come on board. It matters not if you are overseas, if you have a BFPO address then fine; it just means the books take a bit longer to reach you.

I operate the reviews section through email so please give me an email address that I can use to contact you. These email addresses remain with me and are not shared with anyone. Obviously your name and address will be given to the publishers/authors in order that they can send books to you. Again that remains between you, me and the publisher/author. Usual Arrse rules on confidentiality are followed at all times.

Once I have a few names and email addresses, I will email everyone and explain how the system works at present and hopefully have some books to offer up for review. Books are not sent on spec, I contact people to see who is interested/has the time to give, before passing on details to the publisher. You remain very much in control of your own time. The only thing I would ask here is that if you commit to doing a review, that you meet that commitment, or contact me asap if there are issues.

The publishers we use are very pleased with the reviews that are going up. In some ways they are quite taken back by the ‘honesty’ of the reviews – not normally what they get from the ‘professional’ reviewers who write what marketing people want. They love it. Another publisher made the comment ‘it looks like you actually read the book’ – that I think speaks for itself.

Have a think about this, and if you are up for it, get in touch with me by PM.

Auld-Yin

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I have actualy become friends with two of the Authors of books you sent me to review, and am acting as a sort of tech adviser to one of them in his new book

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have actualy become friends with two of the Authors of books you sent me to review, and am acting as a sort of tech adviser to one of them in his new book
Glad to hear it Jim. I am sure if you get in touch with tropper he will also be able to help :)

Boldnotold

LE
Book Reviewer
Could I volunteer, please, Auld-Yin?

I can read without pointing my finger at the words, and can do spelling and everything.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Could I volunteer, please, Auld-Yin?

I can read without pointing my finger at the words, and can do spelling and everything.
PM me as above and we can take from there. Once I have more mugs (aka volunteers) I will get in touch with everyone.

A-Y

Jim - stop drooling over the avatar.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Goats - yes - when books come available.
B_A - PM sent

Life is slightly quiet on the book review front at the moment but I am trying to get some titles. Wait and see.

I think we have enough reviewers now folks so no more for present. No doubt that will change as time goes on so maybe next time.

Thanks all.

A-Y

Hi mate
I am a retired Viet Nam disabled veteran with all the time in the world to review as I am not working. My personal history is: In the US security forces for 16 years. Viet Nam vet. Retired after being shot full of holes. Was a Los Angeles police officer. Later returned to UK and after uni. became a lawyer there for 18 years and retired yet again. Now dossing in Spain. Would love the opportunity to review books.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thanks for the interest guarango, however, publishers won't send books outside UK or BFPO.

I hope that you enjoy the reviews that are published on here and sorry we can't have you on board.

A-Y

A

armadillo

For the uninitiated what does a review consist off? Is it proof reading or being a SME that its factually correct, or a Barry Norman type review?

I read a lot of books, and I would like to know what this all consists off before volunteering,

Cheers

Armadillo

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
For the uninitiated what does a review consist off? Is it proof reading or being a SME that its factually correct, or a Barry Norman type review?

I read a lot of books, and I would like to know what this all consists off before volunteering,

Cheers

Armadillo
Thanks for the query Arma.

Have a look at the reviews and you will see what we are looking for. It is just a case of you reading a book, which you have usually agreed to review, then just getting your opinion into words - between 500-1000 usually.

Have a go at writing up a review of one of the books you have read recently and see how you feel about it. Post on this forum if you want to try out to the full. If you then feel like you could take this on board, get back to me.

A-Y

Latest Threads