Book Club Reviewers – Recruitment Drive

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Auld-Yin, Nov 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Reviews Section has been going for some months now and we have over 100 reviews in the Book Reviews section. That has been a fantastic effort by all the reviewers.

As time goes on, some have to leave and some have other work and time commitments which mean they can no longer devote the time required to reviewing books. Plus now that publishers and authors are seeing the fruits of the work of the reviewers we are receiving more and more requests for Arrse to review books.

If you think you would like to become one of the reviewers, and have the time to commit to it then drop me a PM. I am particularly looking for serving soldiers to come on board. It matters not if you are overseas, if you have a BFPO address then fine; it just means the books take a bit longer to reach you.

I operate the reviews section through email so please give me an email address that I can use to contact you. These email addresses remain with me and are not shared with anyone. Obviously your name and address will be given to the publishers/authors in order that they can send books to you. Again that remains between you, me and the publisher/author. Usual Arrse rules on confidentiality are followed at all times.

Once I have a few names and email addresses, I will email everyone and explain how the system works at present and hopefully have some books to offer up for review. Books are not sent on spec, I contact people to see who is interested/has the time to give, before passing on details to the publisher. You remain very much in control of your own time. The only thing I would ask here is that if you commit to doing a review, that you meet that commitment, or contact me asap if there are issues.

The publishers we use are very pleased with the reviews that are going up. In some ways they are quite taken back by the ‘honesty’ of the reviews – not normally what they get from the ‘professional’ reviewers who write what marketing people want. They love it. Another publisher made the comment ‘it looks like you actually read the book’ – that I think speaks for itself.

Have a think about this, and if you are up for it, get in touch with me by PM.

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I have actualy become friends with two of the Authors of books you sent me to review, and am acting as a sort of tech adviser to one of them in his new book
  3. Auld-Yin

Glad to hear it Jim. I am sure if you get in touch with tropper he will also be able to help :)
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

My doctor assures me that there is no chance of that as long as I keep taking the medication
  5. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

Could I volunteer, please, Auld-Yin?

I can read without pointing my finger at the words, and can do spelling and everything.
  6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

FFS I didn't know that Maria Jose de Fernandez was an Arrse member, or are you just a doppelganger
  7. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

I can review any books in Spanish or Portugese, perhaps?
  8. Auld-Yin

PM me as above and we can take from there. Once I have more mugs (aka volunteers) I will get in touch with everyone.

Jim - stop drooling over the avatar.
  9. Auld-Yin

Bump - still room for more reviewers.
  10. Auld-Yin

Last bump for those who log on at work and then lurk!!!! :)
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Auld Yin

old age and confusion overwhelms me.....does the Raven oath qualify me as a Reviewer or not ?

12. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A-Y - I have PM'd you.
  13. Auld-Yin

Goats - yes - when books come available.
    B_A - PM sent

Life is slightly quiet on the book review front at the moment but I am trying to get some titles. Wait and see.

I think we have enough reviewers now folks so no more for present. No doubt that will change as time goes on so maybe next time.

Thanks all.

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Suggestion ?

If you can get a coupla copies?

Salute To Cooking - The Royal Hospital Chelsea
  15. Auld-Yin