bonus for soldiers after 12 yrs

has anyone heard anything of a new bonus coming in to encourage people to stay in passed the 12 yr point.

rumour has it a possible bonus around the 15/16 year point is getting introduced?

I doubt it very much how many people get to their 15 year point and sign off?

buryfc66 said:
stacker1 said:
Crazy people, unless the job offer is just to good to pass on. Can't see this happening either
Yep maybe a few ATs or helicopter pilots who have quals that civvie street will pay an extremly large sum for, everyone else will hang in for the pension.

I dont think it is designed for people at the 15 year point, i think it is because so many are getting out at their 12 year point it is to give some incentive to stay in

notsogreen said:
I dont think it is designed for people at the 15 year point, i think it is because so many are getting out at their 12 year point it is to give some incentive to stay in
Not that many people get out at their 12 year point either, I think its something like 60% of the army leave by their 5 year point so the other 40% is spread over the next 17 years.
I would suggest that anyone who leaves at their 12 year point either havn't done as well as the would have liked and so are moving onto another career while they have the time or they are switched on and are going for a higher paid job, I don't think either type of person will be tempted by a bonus some years down the line.

I would have thought it wouldn't be the case for all capbadges and trades and indeed I heard of Manning Control Points (MCP) being reintroduced. I don't know if there can be retention bonuses and an MCP at the same point. If they are paid such bonuses, in the past, have typically come out of the pension. We'll have to see what happens with the economy as outflow at any service point is much lower than expected at present.

whingeingpom said:
If they are paid such bonuses, in the past, have typically come out of the pension.
Where did this rumour start? Your bonuses and pension are not linked.

stacker1 said:
whingeingpom said:
If they are paid such bonuses, in the past, have typically come out of the pension.
I'll check when I'm next at work but some years ago I was told this by a competent and trustworthy RAO, I never checked-up as I didn't qualify for any bonuses so I accept it could be wrong as I didn't verify it.

whingeingpom said:
stacker1 said:
whingeingpom said:
I'll check when I'm next at work but some years ago I was told this by a competent and trustworthy RAO, I never checked-up as I didn't qualify for any bonuses so I accept it could be wrong as I didn't verify it.
It is wrong, So your RAO was a big fat fibber, If you miss out by one day on a retention bonus you will receive the same pension as the bloke who joined the day after you (assuming you leave at the same age/rank).
Like the private/RSM pension its just a myth.

stacker1 said:
I left after 16! As tough as being out of the Army has been for one reason and another, I'd still have 3 years to do now and I know I wouldnt have stuck it out.

stacker1 said:
whingeingpom said:
stacker1 said:
whingeingpom said:
It is wrong, So your RAO was a big fat fibber, If you miss out by one day on a retention bonus you will receive the same pension as the bloke who joined the day after you (assuming you leave at the same age/rank).
Like the private/RSM pension its just a myth.
My bad. Spoke to 2 x SPS today who said I was wrong. Bring on some bonuses. Apologies

If you get to 12 you might as well stay till 15, get to 15 youd be mad to get out with the full pension and lump sum just 7 years away!

Thats why there isnt a 12 year bonus! Simples!

there is currently nothing in the pipe line however the 5 and 8 yr bonus has recently been reviewed to get people to stay past their 5 yr point and then before they know it they are at their 12 and staying in for the full term.
With the Army currently coming to full manning and longer services I can't see them bringing in a bonus as they need to have the natural wastage for people to move on and up.

whingeingpom said:
stacker1 said:
whingeingpom said:
Stacker1 is quite correct; they are not linked....

BUT...

...the reason that the MOD pays bonuses to both the military and to the Civil Service is that the bonuses are NOT pensionable.

If you received the bonus as salary, the MOD would have to increase your pension - and that is expensive.

So, in a way, your RAO was correct as well.

Litotes

Just read the renleave comment, after 11 years i have just been told that i am not entitled to it as no longer exists! if you joined after april 99-ish then it ceases to exist. i am NOT happy