Bonnie Mary o Argyle

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Auld-Yin, Jul 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Friends, colleagues and fellow Arrsers.

Serious request!

I have been asked if I can find the words for the army's version of the above song. I have tried Google and can only get the official version.

The army one went some thing like

Hey wee man wi the big stick in yer hand
    Won't you play a simple melody
    Just to remind me o the girl I left behind me
    Won't you play a simple melody

Ah'm coming back Bonnie Mary,
    Ah'm coming back to you
    etc, etc

If anyone out there has the full version I would be really grateful for a copy.

Regards

A-Y

2. Auld-Yin

BUMP

If anyone can help it would be truly appreciated.

ps - still a serious request 8)

3. Here ye go mucker (Cap Badge specific), goes something like this:

Hey wee man, wae the big stick in yer hand, Wont you play a simple melodeeee, for I'm coming back bonny Mary, I'm coming back to youooo, I'm coming back to the good old summer times, where the bagpipes are playing for auld lang sayne, for I know, she will, be waiting, to greet me with a smile and we'll roam the hills together, amongst the purple heather, bonnie mary o' argyle

We'll we held a grand procession as we marched before the queen, 10000 kilted warriors the likes they'd never seen, at first they thought we were zulus from the land beyond the nile, until they heard us singin bonnie mary o' argyle, fur we're all scotsman, everywans a scotsman, buffalo bill fae maryhill, never worked and never will, aye man, believe it if ye can, we're the hie-land jocks wae tartan socks, scotsman everyone, through they day and thru the night wae our brasses shining bright, we marched oot milton brig in battle orderrrr,

It was there we had a laugh, we were stationed wae the raff, we're the 1st Bn King's Own Scottish Borderers, oh Borderers and wild are we, there's no a toon, can bear the croon, oh the King's Own Scottish Borderers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Auld-Yin

MF cheers for that, although the obvious bias towards the Borderers is only just apparent 8)

This appears to be a slight embellishment

I am sure that all Regiments had their own bits n bobs to add in. :lol:

5. Bias towards the Borderers ....never

Slainte'

6. Auld-Yin

MF - my ap[ologies. I should never have used the word slant along with Borderer as we all know they are bent :wink:

I thought that the song was originally an HLI one (subsequently, and following several amalgamations, 2 Scots) as the HLI Depot was at Maryhill Barracks. However as writing, especially of the joined up persuasion, has always been an issue for members of that illustrious bunch of thugs, I don't expect a reply :x (Preparing myself for incoming :roll: )

7. A-Y. 'Bonnie Mary o' Argyll' (or at least the version appearing on this thread) was indeed originally a Highland Light Infantry (best rendition I ever heard was by a group of Royal Highland Fusiliers singing it with great gusto in the early 1960s) song, adopted in the late 50s by other Scottish regiments notably the KOSB who added 'Border Lads' as a follow on to it in Berlin 1959-61 and was still going strong when I left the regiment in the 1980s!

Hey wee man wi the big stick in yer hand wont you play a simple melody?
    Just to remind me o' the girl I left behind me wont you play a simple melody?
    For ahm comin' back Bonnie Mary ahm comin home to you
    Ahm comin back in the good old summer time
    When the bagpipes are playin for auld lang syne
    And we'll roam the hills together
    Among the purple heather
    Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.

For we held a grand procession as we marched before the Queen
    Ten thousand kilted warriors - the likes ye've never seen
    At first they thought we were Zulus from the lands beyond the Nile
    Until they heard us singin' Bonnie Mary o' Argyll
    For we're a' Scotsmen everyone a Scotsman
    Buffalo Bill frae Mary Hill
    Never worked and never will
    Aye man believe it if ye can
    There was Hielan Jocks
    In tartan socks
    Scotsmen Every wan.

Through the day and through the night wi oor brasses shining bright
    We set oot frae Milton Bridge in battle order
    And from Harwich tae the Hook
    We arrived in Barracks Brooke
    We're the First Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers.

It was there we had a laugh
    We were stationed wi the Raff
    In a wee toon they ca' Gatow on the Border
    There we knocked oot Yankee tanks
    An we F****d the Yorks and Lancs
    For we're the First Battalion King's own Scottish Borderers.

Oh Border lads and wild are we
    and ill tae keep in order
    For there's no a toon can bear the croon
    o the King's Own Scottish Borderers!

Hope this helps A-Y, it's been a long time since I've belted it oot in the company o' Scottish sodgers and I may have it wrong though nae doot ah'll be corrected!

(an tae think Rabbie Burns wis yince in the KOSB!)

BD

8. Buster, on the ball as always. Apparantly mines was the shortened version (and am told updated??), however I'm sure they've both given Auld Yin plenty to play with.

9. Auld-Yin

Muzzleflash & Busterdog

Thanks for this, I will pass it on and of course claim all the credit!!!!! :wink:

Seriously that is a great help and much appreciated.

Regards

Auld-Yin

10. Pretty sure there are two lines missing from Busterdog's version (Which I always thought was an Argylls tune myself, but perhaps for too obvious reasons)

Hey wee man wi the big stick in yer hand wont you play a simple melody?
    Just to remind me o' the girl I left behind me wont you play a simple melody?
    For ahm comin' back Bonnie Mary ahm comin home to you
    Ahm comin back in the good old summer time
    When the bagpipes are playin for auld lang syne
    (new lines below)
    I know she will be waiting
    to take me by the hand.
    And we'll roam the hills together
    Among the purple heather
    Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.

Wasstill going in the mid-80s. Do soldiers still sing it?

11. Auld-Yin

Jock,

I am grateful for your post.

I'm sure that there are several slightly differing versions, considering this is a squaddies song (anthem?) and not written down in tablets of stone.

In fact if you look at the version from those cheeky Borderers, they have added a completely different song which relates to a strange body of men who have been tainted by those from southern parts :wink:

12. Jock_S. You're right. Good lord how could I forget that anthem, even after a couple of decades?

The Argyll's drinking song was, I believe, 'The Thin Red Line' a rousing song though I only know the last line! "The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders THE THIN RED LINE." Perhaps an Argyll will supply us with the words?

13. does anyone know the tune that the lyrics were put to?

14. This was what we used to sing in Fife:-

Hey wee man with the big stick in yer hand, won't you play me a simple melody.
    Just to remind me of the folks I've left behind me, won't you play me a simple melody.
    Oh I'm coming back Bonnie Mary, I'm coming back to you ou ou.
    I'm coming back in the dear old summertime, when the bagpipes will be playing "For Auld Lang Syne"
    And I hope, you will be waiting, to greet me with a smile,
    For we'll all go together, amongst the purple heather, Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.
    So we held a grand procession as we marched before the Queen,
    10,000 kilted warriors, the best you've ever seen.
    They thought it was the Zulus from the banks upon the Nile,
    Until they started playing Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.
    For, we're all Scotsmen, everyones at Scotsmen, Buffalo Bill fae Methilhill he's never worked and he'll never will.
    But aye, man , believe it if you can, we're Heilan Jocks wae Tartan socks, Scotsmen tae a man.
    So let the Irish sing of their Emerald Isle, where the 4 leaf clover grows.
    And let the English sing of their valleys and their dales, their bonnie blooming rose.
    But give me the land of the heather and the kilt, the mountains and the rivers.
    For the blood runs through my viens, when I hear them bagpipes play, Scotland dear old Scotland Foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

15. ‘Ye may talk aboot yer Gordons and yer gallant forty-Twa,
    Yer silver-streakit Seaforths and yer Camerons sae Braw,
    But gi's me the Tartan O' the lads who look sae fine,
    The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders-"The Thin Red Line",

Sound's like just a chorus to me but that's all I've heard of it...