Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonfire of the Talents - Mainstream Radio ‘Dumbing down’?

Happy New Year, Radio Thread!!

I couldn't find anything else in my site search and this thread seemed the obvious fit, without having to start a new one.
I haven't listed to the radio for the last three or four years as they all seemed to turn into woke shite and they have binned some of the best talent that was holding it together....Standfast Baker, you fat, useless cockney tw@t. You were one of the most ignorant.
Anyway, I chanced upon something they call 'an advertisement' on my telletube, which featured Mayo and Kermode as presenters on a new station 'Scala', at least I think its new.
Any arsers already listen and have a view?

FYI, Anthea Turner is on it. She is 60 this year and yes......like a rodent scaling an external water downpipe.

ETA, you can listen to their bits on catch up via their website.

Last edited:
Happy New Year, Radio Thread!!

I couldn't find anything else in my site search and this thread seemed the obvious fit, without having to start a new one.
I haven't listed to the radio for the last three or four years as they all seemed to turn into woke shite and they have binned some of the best talent that was holding it together....Standfast Baker, you fat, useless cockney tw@t. You were one of the most ignorant.
Anyway, I chanced upon something they call 'an advertisement' on my telletube, which featured Mayo and Kermode as presenters on a new station 'Scala', at least I think its new.
Any arsers already listen and have a view?

FYI, Anthea Turner is on it. She is 60 this year and yes......like a rodent scaling an external water downpipe.

ETA, you can listen to their bits on catch up via their website.

Classical music innit?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Even though Mayo flounced from R2, I think he & Kermode still do/did the film review show on R5L.
He didn’t flounce. His DriveTime show was ok even a grumpy old git like myself liked to listen to that show when I was preparing the evening meal in the kitchen, then they brought in some woman to work with him and the standard of the show plummeted.
The BBC then replaced Mayo altogether, but by then I had stopped listening as I dare say have a few others.
The BBC management haven’t a fecking clue.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Post 09:30
Classic FM if you find R3 too esoteric
Scala FM if you find Classic FM too mainstream
BBC R6 Music if you're fed up with hearing Supertramp or War of Worlds on repeat on R2, or shouty rappers on R1
R4 in parts. Tim Harford's 'More or Less' is always a joy, Mevyn Braggs's 'In our Time' will occasionally keep me engrossed, Desert Island Discs sometimes throws up someone interesting, and if they bring back Cabin Pressure or Ed Reardon's week (I'm convinced he's a typical Arrser), I'll always tune in.
Are you me?

In a similar vein, I have been watching the 1980s series, behind the lines, about the RM ML course (propted by another thread on here) and it is so noticeable how much more eloquent and erudite the narrator is compared to to the semi-educated muppets that you get today. I am quite sure that this has an effect on young audiences who are subjected to it.

I am off, now, to shout at a cloud.
That's also just the quality of the program to start with - that's an excellent documentary that concentrates on the training rather than their feelings...

He didn’t flounce. His DriveTime show was ok even a grumpy old git like myself liked to listen to that show when I was preparing the evening meal in the kitchen, then they brought in some woman to work with him and the standard of the show plummeted.
The BBC then replaced Mayo altogether, but by then I had stopped listening as I dare say have a few others.
The BBC management haven’t a fecking clue.

I know exactly what happened. I’ve commented about it elsewhere on the BBC thread.
He did flounce. Jo Whiley was imposed on him. He didn’t really want it (he admitted later) but auntie insisted the daytime schedule was pale, male & stale.
Quality slid, listeners deserted/moaned, Mayo wasn’t happy & he left.

Aged 54, things can only have gone downhill Hhhhmmmmm:
1580495567000.png

Niamac

GCM
Much of Beeb output seems to have drifted towards "Show Business" although there are pockets of good stuff. For idle internet listening with brain under chair;

Commercial Free - Listener Supported and Soft & Lazy (in Boxhead)

Both have maximum music with minimum DJs etc.

I have zero interest in the music played on the radio these days. I've got my own cd's and do not require their chart/dance/oldies dross.

When I pick up a car or van, I'm looking for LBC, TalkSport, TalkRadio or even sometimes a nice Radio 4 play on a Tuesday afternoon. I used to enjoy Jon Gaunt's weekday morning phone-in until he was sacked. I also enjoyed early TalkRadio around 1999-2000, with well established lefty, Derek Hatton's phone-in.

But the best ever radio host was TalkSport's Mike Dicken, who was a proper Mr Angry, and always had a bee in his bonnet about something.

or even sometimes a nice Radio 4 play on a Tuesday afternoon.

You are a traitor to your alleged punk rock anarchist background! Akin to a Vespa scooter rider cutting around in a leather jacket with a Hell's Angels rocker badge - you should change your username immediately to something more appropriate.

WolvoCelloQuartet should suffice.

And I eagerly await your first missive on your excitement upon finding a chippy in Wolverhampton, in 1983, that served guacamole!

You are a traitor to your alleged punk rock anarchist background! Akin to a Vespa scooter rider cutting around in a leather jacket with a Hell's Angels rocker badge - you should change your username immediately to something more appropriate.

WolvoCelloQuartet should suffice.

And I eagerly await your first missive on your excitement upon finding a chippy in Wolverhampton, in 1983, that served guacamole!
I do most of the ironing to R4. Women’s hour for wor lasses smart gear.
GBH on youthingy for the rest!

I do most of the ironing to R4. Women’s hour for wor lasses smart gear.
GBH on youthingy for the rest!

He's dead to me now..arrse's very own Vivian off Young Ones and it turns out...he's a Volvo Vulva!

Latest Threads