Bonfire of the Talents - Mainstream Radio ‘Dumbing down’?

Absolute radio, Jack and Smooth Country the smooth is to calm 0A until she nods off usually five minutes into any trip so I then pop Absolute on
Ahhhhh Christian O'Connell, radio's unfunniest bloke. I use to listen to Absolute years back and changed my hours so COC (very apt I may add) was on. It lasted two days

I still listen to R4 into work and back, but I find I'n shouting at the radio more often than not for some of the soft political interviews and Martha Kearney being, well frankly, utterly ******* useless

Also, what is it with USB devices for music? Haven't you granddads heard of bluetooth?

Or is it you drive 1990's Fiat's and haven't got that new fangled magic technology?

At home it’s Absolute and car journeys over an hour Pod casts, I do t mind female DJs or what ever they are called but the Beeb has some right pains.
The BBC on Radio 2 have got it completely wrong, there are some excellent women presenters that could have done the Breakfast and Drivetime shows.

For me personally I would have like Lisa Tarbuck as breakfast presenter, I find her witty and she has that pace of presenting that is reminiscent of Sir Terry and is what you need first thing in the morning. Anneka Rice would be drivetime presenter, a bit more upbeat but still good and has a voice you can sit and listen to without wanting to punch the Radio.

Zoe Ball needs burying under a patio the shouting, pointless, look at me harridan and as for Sarah Cox, her voice is like having someone's nails dragged down blackboard and is about as interesting as a wet sock in a washing machine.

Also, what is it with USB devices for music? Haven't you granddads heard of bluetooth?

Or is it you drive 1990's Fiat's and haven't got that new fangled magic technology?
Bluetooth is OK, but I don't have my phone on in the car so it is USB all the way.

ugly

LE
Ahhhhh Christian O'Connell, radio's unfunniest bloke. I use to listen to Absolute years back and changed my hours so COC (very apt I may add) was on. It lasted two days

I still listen to R4 into work and back, but I find I'n shouting at the radio more often than not for some of the soft political interviews and Martha Kearney being, well frankly, utterly ******* useless
OC is in Oz now! The breakfast show is better for him leaving

ugly

LE

Not every vehicle I get to drive has the modern wireless fitted

bcsack

Old-Salt
Ever thought who the BBC are trying to appeal to ? IMHO it's certainly not the daft cn*ts who pay the TV licence fee (who, even in this age of equality, i'll bet are men !!).
Absolute & Caroline are bearable alternatives

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've given up with BBC Radio. I've not listened to Radio 1 since my early 20s. Radio 2 has gone so far down hill that it grates on my nerves. Radio 3 sends me to sleep. Radio 4 doesn't keep my interest. Radio 5 doesn't measure up either. As for commercial radio, apart from all the incessant, loud adverts; the inane loud presenters and the very limited playlists that keep repeating the same tracks every couple of hours it's OK. (Actually,no. It isn't)

These days it's Audible audio books for when it's just me in my workshop or car, or my own large collection of great music of many genres if I can't listen properly to an audio book.

Classic FM if you find R3 too esoteric
My (almost) only choice, while for some Vibrancy, one of the Accuradio offerings (Classic Rock, usually). Yes, it is fair to charge the BBC with diminishing value; I used to listen to R2 until it became a home for hiphop, and occasionally tuned in to the Jimmy Young slot (good interviews) now occupied by Jeremy Vine and the fat woman person. Good interviews were replaced by whiny women with dripping tits and other parts, so I gave it up entirely.

Edit: Sarah Kennedy was excellent, but she liked her G&T too much for the Management, and got lit up once too often.

Last edited:

Mover

Old-Salt
Haven't listened to BBC radio for years; don't like their music or the opinionated presenters on Radio 5. I tried LBC for a while but the 6-hour tirade of James O'Brien and Shelagh Fogarty's opinions proved too much; nowadays, I listen to Dutch radio.

Radio 3 sends me to sleep.
Radio 3 is the nuts. No ads to speak of, actual news bulletins, top music (and some too sophisticated for my tin ear). Interesting interviews with people from music and "the arts" (yeah, I know), effnic, folk, ancient, baroque, modern - the lot.

And not a hint of Autotune anywhere.

They do tend to unnecessarily push out the virtue signalling war canoe over women composers and musicians, but in the main, if they have the chops, gender is irrelevant.

It's also boss for commuting and keeping your cool.

Not every vehicle I get to drive has the modern wireless fitted
Griffin designed the FM transmitter from cassette adaptor to 30 pin iPod version. Even a simple aux 3.5 jack cable can utilise a basic radio frequency to your media player(cd mp3 portable digital radio)
Handy when your phone won’t sync Bluetooth

ugly

LE
Griffin designed the FM transmitter from cassette adaptor to 30 pin iPod version. Even a simple aux 3.5 jack cable can utilise a basic radio frequency to your media player(cd mp3 portable digital radio)
Handy when your phone won’t sync Bluetooth
The better tractors on the farm have excellent radio fits! Quads are a little bit too exposed! I did swap out the older cd and fm rig in the pick up for one with Bluetooth and digital plus it syncs with Deezer and other things

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I listen to Radio 1 on the way to work as I find Greg James entertaining. I do get irritated by presenters use of the term 'off of' rather than 'from'.

Has the mainstream media dumbed down in order to appeal to the ‘yoof’ or is it the likes of myself who has a problem, because I’m of a certain generation and perhaps looking at this through rose tinted specs?
My "problem" is that I remember some of the great broadcasts of the past which I use as a benchmark.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bedended The NAAFI Bar 53
Dark_Nit The NAAFI Bar 97
Ciggie The NAAFI Bar 45

Latest Threads