Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonfire of the Sanity 2020

It's heartening to know that in this most testing of times, the great British people have chosen to tighten their belts and not waste scarce money on things that go bang during the greatest financial recession the world has ever seen.

Oh... hang on. The local El Alamein Re-enactment Society have just kicked off. These are presumably the same cunts who will soon be bleating about having to give supermarket own brand products to their obese, fucktard offspring because the bastards at the food bank don't understand that little Chlymidia only touches real co-co pops.

And presumably the same cunts who are on benefits for their extended family of 12 brats - each of differing shades and hues - who class anything less than a 75" plasma screen as poverty.

Every bang is a buck. What a prosperous nation we are. Cunts!

TamH70

MIA
Paisley is like Downtown Baghdad on a bad week right now. Fuckers. Some wee scrotes who infest a nearby building let off a really big rocket a few days ago and nearly sent the thing into one of my building's flat's windows.

Paisley is like Downtown Baghdad on a bad week right now. *******. Some wee scrotes who infest a nearby building let off a really big rocket a few days ago and nearly sent the thing into one of my building's flat's windows.
And in Baghdad in 2007 the locals were no doubt complaining that its 'like a bad week in Downtown Paisley right now'.

I'm too busy worrying when the economy will collapse to be out spending money on fireworks

Rishi is kicking the can down the road with furlough, but when that stops who is going to be left standing at the moment?

endure

GCM
One of the benefits of bonfire night is that the fucking little terrier who lives next door but one and who yaps without provocation now has something to yap about.

What puts the icing on the cake is that we can't hear it because of the fireworks.

Result!

E2A I love dogs - just not ones that yap.

It's heartening to know that in this most testing of times, the great British people have chosen to tighten their belts and not waste scarce money on things that go bang during the greatest financial recession the world has ever seen.

Oh... hang on. The local El Alamein Re-enactment Society have just kicked off. These are presumably the same cnuts who will soon be bleating about having to give supermarket own brand products to their obese, fucktard offspring because the bastards at the food bank don't understand that little Chlymidia only touches real co-co pops.

And presumably the same cnuts who are on benefits for their extended family of 12 brats - each of differing shades and hues - who class anything less than a 75" plasma screen as poverty.

Every bang is a buck. What a prosperous nation we are. cnuts!

Pet lover ?

My cats are all huddled together in misery because of these brain- dead scumbags.

Worst of it is they aren't even British fireworks anymore....... sold frequently by gangsters and imported from "Where Else ?"

Bastard China.

75" screen?

Run this in 4K and drink the savings

That reminds of the works xmas do, the winter log fire was a screensaver on someone's laptop

Pet lover ?

My cats are all huddled together in misery because of these brain- dead scumbags.

Worst of it is they aren't even British fireworks anymore....... sold frequently by gangsters and imported from "Where Else ?"

Bastard China.

To be fair China did pretty much invent fireworks

The weird thing is that the expenditure and popularity seems to have increased exponentially and without the encouragement of advertising. When I was a kid, there was advertising on hoardings, on the sides of buses and even on television ('Light up the sky with Standard fireworks' tum-tee-tum). British firework manufacturers proliferated - Paines, Brocks, Standard, Astra etc and yet the uptake and cost was quite modest, as was the ballistic output.

The output now is almost entirely Chinese in origin and comprises the sort of ordnance that would but BAe to shame and is sufficient to leave domestic pets with permanent PTSD. Fireworks are more expensive, more powerful and more popular with the public now that at any time, as far as I can see.

And yet they seem to manage all this without so much as a whiff of advertising.

endure

GCM
When I was a kid you had your own fireworks show in your own garden with toffee apples that your Mum had made. There were none of these huge displays.

Fireworks are more expensive, more powerful and more popular with the public now that at any time, as far as I can see.
Really? We always did a home fireworks night, up until 4 years ago when I got tired of spending a shed load on what were becomming increasingly shit fireworks. Almost as bad as those crappy Standard fireworks that you used to get in the 80's.

I will have to look into getting some epic Chinese mortars to make some noise! :)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Our poor dog is about to have a heart attack
Our GSD has been on edge for a week or so - and we don't live in a particularly firework infested part of town.
Our Rhodesian Ridgeback is exhibiting typical breed response to loud noise / flashing lights by curling up under her blanket and not giving the tiniest s***.

I do think it's about time that fireworks were took out of the hands of 'the public', over the last ten years or so they have got bigger, louder, cheaper and more widely available to the point where they are set off pretty much all year round for something-or-other.
For the last few years, there has been an organised bonfire party at the cricket ground, it's well attended by several thousand people but the beauty of it is that you don't have to attend to enjoy the fireworks as they are visible (and audible) for a couple of miles around, so any argument about cost, lockdown etc. is in my eyes, not valid.