Bone question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by EX_STAB, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does bone respond to exercise once you've passed twenty or so?
  2. 25-year old goes running: falls over rock: leg breaks: thus bone has responded to exercise.

Slightly light-hearted, but yes, if you develop muscles, they affect the bones around them. Watch Time Team; they're always telling us a Neolithic hunter was very strong based on marks on the bones made by muscles.
  3. As i understand it, the bones are being constantly renewed. That is why astronauts have problems with loss of bone mass. There is no longer any load on the bone, so it responds by becoming weaker. I assume that the reverse is also true. Work the bones, and they become stronger.

If only the same were true of ligaments and tendons! :(

4. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I thought it was true of ligaments and tendons. They just get stronger slower (stupid design feature that).

Phys however don't work on scar tissue in the slightest as I know from experience.
  5. Bone is constantly being broken down and built up by cells call osteoclasts and osteoblasts respectively. They respond to the stresses and strains put on the bone and remodel it accordingly, this is why astronauts have weak bone, the reduced strain on their bones mean they are broken down faster than they are built up. Even little old ladies prone to osteoporosis could increase the strength of their bones by doing weight bearing exercise.

Hope this helps!
  6. According to Wikipedia (so it must be true):

"Skeletons of longbow archers are recognizably deformed, with enlarged left arms and often bone spurs on left wrists, left shoulders and right fingers."

So I guess that bones will respond to exercise, or any strenuous activities.
  7. What, Like killing french people?
  8. I doubt that counts as strenuous exercise... :p

Now if you wore your body weight in armour on the other hand...
  9. Bone structure under a microscope is like a web, with lots of hollows and gaps. If you imagine the comic cheese (Forgive the analogy) it has lots of holes in.
    If you place them under repeated strain or impact, these hollows get smaller, and as the body replaces the thin microscopic cracks they essentially fill these holes and create solid bone.

After years of training, stress or general wear and tear on bones, these calcium deposits get harder, therefore more brittle. Under repeated "strain" like the Archers mentioned above, as they heal, they heal into the most used position they were damaged in.

IE; If you over extend your foot as ballerina's do, and break it, it will grow back and heal, warped. This happens in more minor ways for people who do general exercise.
    Another example of this are the palms of sumo wrestlers, who smash their hands again oak poles to toughen the bone on their palms. And thai boxers who kick bamboo sticks with their shins, to remove all hollows in the bone, making them harder. Osteoclasts and osteoblasts were referred to in an earlier post I believe.

As Soldiers go through their career, specifically in weight-bearing, lifting incorrectly and immense pressure on their legs; Knees, ankles and shins, the bone will indeed increase in density, therefore, stronger. As long as posture is good and the exercise is balanced, it shouldnt cause any issues.

Joints and tendons however, are the ones that will give you issue. Cartilage does not naturally grow back. Certain treatments can repair it, but it is expensive and ocassionally ineffective depending on the damage.

Prevent damage and future medical issues by warming down. Stretching doesnt just help the muscles!

~Apparently... an RMO?
  10. Did anyone else skim over that looking for dirty words?

11. Hi there was reading what you put, this is a question about the joints. i got my selection coming up and im really nervus about my right knee the join clicks when i fully extend the leg and grinds when i bent it agian iv had this for quite some time now i have no pian what so eva and have full range of movement is this going to get me deffered in the medical??

and also i recently shot up i was a really small guy now im 6ft 1 i was wondering if that had owt to do with it im only 19 can you help me please with some information and advice.

12. Jarrod248 check your pm's matey :)
  13. nath, chill.
    The majority of your posts have been on your joints clicking. Take the advice given. And, worry about something that matters like passing the rest of selection or penis size.
  14. LOL i don't have any problems in that apartment and my penis size you been perving on me :? 8O