Bone Question - Webbing repairs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gust.Avrakotos, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok this is probably the most bone question I have ever asked in my life, but I am not a seamstress and am genuinely stumped.

I have a few webbing pouches that are a little bust however I dont think they will take much graft to repair, I am also looking at adding large flaps of Velcro to my Ammo pouches to make my life a little easier.

Now for the bone question, I cant for the life of me find the thick thread that seems to be used to keep webbing/bergins together. I just got back from this big craft shop that seemed to have every sort of thread in the world but it was all either really thin weak stuff of as thick as para cord.

So here I am with the biggest needle in the world and a bunch of broken pouches to work on... and a very silly look on my face :(

Anyone here done repairs to webbing/bergins? And ideas/tips?
  2. Velcro............tactical..............not.

I can picture it now...........a nice moonlit night waiting for Terry to walk into an ambush. Need to get something out of my webbing....rrrRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPP!. Mmmmmmmm. Flavour of the month after that and no mistake.
  3. All depends, that's a slight problem but its make fire and manoeuvre much faster.

Also I dont know about you but I only usually reload after I have 'shot my load' which tends to make a fair bit of noise in its own right.
  4. Tent repair kits from Millets or the like have dobra strong thread.
  5. Yeah, if you read his post he is only velcroing his ammo pouches...

ergo, the only thing he will be going in there for is... well. More ammo.

I would like to think the 30 rounds down range from his weapon alone would have given his presence away more than the rip of velcro.....
  6. Try fishing line; 18-20lb breaking strain and keep sewing until it's never going to come off, then put some green tape over it. And put some velcro flaps a la PLCE on the ammo pouches in case you ever do need to get at your pouches quietly.
  7. Hear Bleedin Hear!
  8. By the way - Bonded Nylon OD thread from Somac (Google em) you want 30s or 40s.
    Good Luck!!
  9. Get them exchanged for new ones and then get it tailored to fit
  10. Gust,

P'M me with your address - I have a large bobbin reel of thick olive green nylon cord proffed from my CQMS many moons ago in order to sow elastic to my webbing - just let me know how many metres you want and I'll send it on to you.
  11. Cant you just replace them in Qm's?
  12. This is a fairly time consuming task, andl your hands will be in rag order after pushing a big fat needle through 3 layers of heavy weight material. The is generally someone kicking around wiith a heavy weight sewing machine that will do the job for you. Ask at your QMs.
    Alternatively, bluff your way onto the equipment repairers course and work through you lunch breaks.