Bone Question Time....

#1
Really bone question chaps, but what is the carrying capacity of the main pouch of the issue bergan?

Im in the process of buying Ortlieb bags here, and want to get the right sizes.
 
#3
ish! I thought 120 myself but whats 20l between friends
 
#4
Praetorian said:
Really bone question chaps, but what is the carrying capacity of the main pouch of the issue bergan?

Im in the process of buying Ortlieb bags here, and want to get the right sizes.
Put your bergan in the garden with a black bin bag inside and get your Mrs pyrex jug and keep adding litres of water into your bergan, remembering to count them. when it's full add up how many you have poured in and there you go! question answered, bergan capacity in litres. :D

Easy really isn't it? :wink:
 
#6
Praetorian said:
Really bone question chaps, but what is the carrying capacity of the main pouch of the issue bergan?

Im in the process of buying Ortlieb bags here, and want to get the right sizes.
Long back Infantry is 120 Ltr, short back is ermmm less.
 
#7
TheBigUn said:
Praetorian said:
Really bone question chaps, but what is the carrying capacity of the main pouch of the issue bergan?

Im in the process of buying Ortlieb bags here, and want to get the right sizes.
Put your bergan in the garden with a black bin bag inside and get your Mrs pyrex jug and keep adding litres of water into your bergan, remembering to count them. when it's full add up how many you have poured in and there you go! question answered, bergan capacity in litres. :D

Easy really isn't it? :wink:
Many thanks. I used piss however, it worked a lot better.
 
#8
Isn't the main compartment 100, with the two side pouches bringing it up to 120? I may be talking complete pish, but a 109L dry bag fitted very nicely in mine, with room to spare.
 

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
#9
The longback and shortback are apparently the same capacity. The shortback is wider, that's all.

I've got the 109 litre one for mine, and it does the job!
 
#10
PLCE Bergen - 100 ltrs
Side Pouch - 10 ltrs
Hope that helps
 
#12
There are two versions of the 109L Ortlieb bag on the market, one long and thin (suitable for the long back) and one short and fat (you guessed it for the shortback).

Get the right one. Mind you, I say that when I go out yet always end up with the latter.
 
#13
Mr_Deputy said:
not for me I've got a female soldier here and I don't know which bag to put her in.
both and your patrol pack/day(night) sack for the head/s
 
#14
I have also tried just putting stuff in the side pouches that dont need waterproofing - as some already are ( nbc kit , boil in the bag etc,water,cooking pot) which saves money and weight and then line inner compartment with your bivvi bag hence once again saving money and weight - ortlieb arent heavy but it all adds up.
Of course the downside here is if you need your bivvi bag - it quite often depends on climate. Or have a spare bivvi bag ( signed out of course as money once again becomes an issue).
 
#15
ballonhead said:
I have also tried just putting stuff in the side pouches that dont need waterproofing - as some already are ( nbc kit , boil in the bag etc,water,cooking pot) which saves money and weight and then line inner compartment with your bivvi bag hence once again saving money and weight - ortlieb arent heavy but it all adds up.
Of course the downside here is if you need your bivvi bag - it quite often depends on climate. Or have a spare bivvi bag ( signed out of course as money once again becomes an issue).
The bivvy bag is very good at being a bivvy bag, but having a draw-string closure, tends to let Mr Water in during river crossings. and once Mr Water is in, the bivvy bag shows how nice and waterproof it is by not letting him out again until you get it out at night to realise that your doss bag and all your dry kit is wet through...

I'm a big fan of packing light, but a drybag is seriously worth its weight.
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#16
Bravo_Zulu said:
The bivvy bag is very good at being a bivvy bag, but having a draw-string closure, tends to let Mr Water in during river crossings. and once Mr Water is in, the bivvy bag shows how nice and waterproof it is by not letting him out again until you get it out at night to realise that your doss bag and all your dry kit is wet through...

I'm a big fan of packing light, but a drybag is seriously worth its weight.



Unless of course you've been trained as a soldier, then you'd have been taught the blindingly obvious method in Basics. [qv]
 
#17
well said cutaway who has also ( I assume) been taught how to tie a knot ( using the bivi bag draw cord ) around the neck of the bivi bag thus ensuring Mr Water does not get in . I would have mentioned that in my post but didnt think it needed to be mentioned.
 

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
#18
Yeah, that's one way. But for some reason our unit used to do river crossings by packing everything inside the bergan, then putting webbing + Bergan into the bivvy bag and crossing that way. Bivvy bags can rip easily, then letting Mr.Water in.

An ortlieb is easily worth it's weight. It's bomb-proof!
 
#19
ah. Correct again. BUT- if all your important stuff is inside bivvi bag in bergan, and everything in side pouches is stuff that doesnt need waterproofing ( boil in the bag, cooking pots, water bottle, nbc suit etc) then when you Unit turns up at water/river crossing you can crack straight on and not wait an hour for the troop/platoon duffers to sort there sh*te out .
Once again depends on webbing contents too and whether they are waterproofed- which is often dictated by climate/terrain. No need in the Gulf, maybe a need in the Falklands type role.
I like ortliebs- just another way of doing things and stops all the kit monsters making the young kids buy stuff for sake of buying it.
 

MrBane

LE
Moderator
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#20
Or, you should do what has served me well countless times.

Tescos foodbags, with the ziplocks. Waterproof and solid.
Seal every individual item, grouping where acceptable, (Never all your socks in one bag though), and then into small Ortlieb bags.
Small Ortlieb bags go into one big Ortlieb bag.
Big Ortlieb bag goes into bergen.
Mr Water is **** out of luck and will go annoy your mate instead.

This also means that of a night, when it's dark and spooky and tactical, you can open Ortlieb, pull out your baby Ortliebs, which you've marked before hand with string to identify, and remove what you need, without exposing everything in one big bag to the elements, and incurring the risk of not securing it again properly.

In Belize, due to a small mishap, my bergen was used unsuccessfully as a boat, being totally submerged in the process. Upon opening, the water pished out, but not a single item was wet.
The bloke with the bivvy bag however, well, his very nearly kept on sinking.

[Edit] On a side note, if your Ortlieb main bag is only holding smaller Ortlieb bags, you can, in emergency sudden showers, pull them all out and hide inside the main Ortlieb bag. Works a treat. :)
 

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top