bone question time,

Discussion in 'RAC' started by wellard, Apr 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok quick bit of background info, i'm currently on FTRS with 1RTR, and looking to join them fully (RA background, yes the one with the black beret and gun on it!). i've been told that i need to become a full crewman, and do JCC (NCO's carde), before picking up, which is fine, but what i don't understand is what happens next?

someone said you do a MEC? cse, is that like an advanced speciality?
    then a crew commanders cse, full screw cse right?

then what happens? i mean cse wise is there a set route to god hood (RSM), or is it more open than that, (sorry if this is all over the place, but i'm RA and words are like shellfire, some miss, and some hit)

what i think i'm trying to get at is, in the RA, it went something like this,

basic sigs and B licence, then basic OP on wpn system, then 18 months class 1 soldier, then JNCO carde, then Tactical controller cse, 2 years then Full screws cse, followed by Det commanders cse, then SGT the RI's cse, and then you go forward to gunnery careers cse, Wo2, ETC

is there something like this in the RAC or does everyone get to cpl, and does his/her(yes you've got them too) own thing?

any info would help before i put in to speak to my Troop Leader on Monday,

wellard

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Eeeerrrr and this happened when :?

3. the TA units have females in the role of armour replacement crews, what ever that means

linky

4. As you have been rightly told, you have to attain full crewman (D+M, Gunnery, part 1 and 2 sigs, map reading 2) and JCC. I did an earlier JCC which included the deputy vehicle commander modules, this counted as D+M and gunnery mech although both trade parts included less than the original mech courses. As far as I am aware JCC is now run as seperate modules, you must complete module 1 (the cadre part) to qualify for lance jack. After that is out the way, you can then complete the relevant advanced course (mech course). From there, you can complete CR2 instructors courses in any of the three trades as a lance corporal. On promotion to corporal, you can be loaded on crew commanders. I do have a copy of RACES (RAC career plan) once I dig it out I will PM you. On a side note, there would (I assume) be more career routes with 1RTR on the NBC side of life. Good luck anyway and watch your wallet with all those scousers about!

5. thanks for the info track rash,

i've already installed CCTV system in my room, (multi useages there!), so hopefully i'll still have all my kit come monday!

people keeps mentioning things like IBids? and LRT? about all i can make out it involes working late, and checking CES's all day long?

wellard

6. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

LRT, Light role team... Clearly your in the wrong tank regiment mate ;)

7. you could say that, far to many jocks and scoucers, but there is enough southerners here,

in fact alot of people are transferring here (some even from the REME and cav)

so a LRT is the pinz teams? and dismounted a lot?

8. Tankie2ndrtr

Believe so mate. Im not to clued up with the 1RTR boys, apart from they only have 1 SQN of tanks (A SQN) and they are a training and Demo Squadron. They dont deploy like us.

Not so much dismounted as far as im aware. Fuchs, Pins and Other light vehicles. Its seen as the top job in 1RTR for some reason. You still in training now ?. ..

If you wanted to be a Tankie you should of Chosen 2RTR.

9. no i'm at honington atm, i'm on a attachment (FTRS), just trying to find out a bit more before i ask for a troop leaders interview,

i've heard there is a lot of cross breading betwen the two units, so i could go to 2RTR later on in my carrier?

i'm in HQ sqn atm so not too clued up with the CBRN part of the unit still working out how the HQ elements work compered to the RA,

thanks for all the help/answers

wellard

10. At least with A Sqn you get your own tank unlike the rest of us.

Wellard, Whole Fleet Management has completely fucked over the RAC so if your looking for a regiment where there's a sense of pride in the vehicles you use your better off with the 1st, it may not sound like much but believe me, it makes a difference in the long run.

If your still not keen on the 1st you could always try to put in a posting/transfer to the 2nd and see what you think then.

11. thats what i was thinking, i know the RA don't like it aswell, and i'm intending to stay at 1st now,

thanks all for your input/answers

wellard

12. Tankie2ndrtr

I have my own tank and have had it for about 3 years... It doesn't effect everyone ;)

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Lucky bugger, I had three but had to share them with 11 others.

14. Tankie2ndrtr

Pleasures of Command Troop, ;)

15. I'm in a sabre squadron, and have 2 tanks per troop, so as we never have 3 crews in a troop on the park, essentially we have our own wagons. (if this makes sense) Anyway, been looking for RACES to post up but cant find the copy I had. I've not had a chance to see the clerk but if you can speak to yours, they should have a copy on the cd rom version of PDR.