Bone marrow donation

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Draft Dodger, Jan 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. so has anyone ever done it? if so which proceedure and what was it like? if you get the ji-nagerous needle in the hip bone just how long are you out of the game for (really, not what they say in the pamphlet or the surgeon tells you)?
  2. I recently accompanied by brother in law to have a bone marrow sample - he had a local anth ( I was next to him to try to give moral support) they used what resembled a wine bottle t-bar cork screw - poor guy was awake through out and suffered alot of pain while they slowly screwed it in to get through the hip bone, he could not see it as they took the sample from behind. If a general anth is offered I would take it.. you will not feel owt.. he was sore for a couple of days after. Other than that it was a piece of cake ( his words-- not mine )
  3. i'm getting a bit ahead of myself but the anthony nolan trust has only asked me to give blood as i've got some weird tissue type which means i'm "much more likely" to be a match.
  4. I got a letter from the NHS the other day saying "Thank You for registering with the British Bone Marrow Registry", which I haven't. They must be doing a massive mail drop to anyone who has ever given blood.
  5. yeah, i had something off them trawling for donations a few wks ago. i dont mind them drilling into my hip but £8 a month? **** off!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. From my own experiences with Stem Cell Transplant (Bone Marrow Transplant).
    As you have already said, the sample required is taken from a normal type of blood test. There is no need for the donor to have any sort of bone marrow sample taken. All the tissue typing and cross checking of suitability is done via the blood sample.
    If and when you are requested to be a donor, no actual bone marrow will be extracted, via the bone taping method. As described in post 2. That as far as I’m aware, is only carried out on the person with the illness. Even that is becoming less common due to the relatively new BCR/ABL test that is done again through blood samples, that’s for Leukaemia anyway, can’t comment on other problems requiring bone marrow transplantation/samples.
    If you are a suitable match for donation, there will be a course of approx 3 days of injections to be taken by the donor, this is to promote the donors body to produce extra stem cells. Once the bone marrow becomes saturated with stem cells, they will start to over flow into your blood stream. After the three days you will attend hospital for the day, and be hooked up to a machine that filters out the stem cells in the blood and reinserts your normal blood back into you. This normally takes about 6-8 hours, if more are required then a second visit the next day is scheduled and the same process is repeated. So the actual donation is basically a needle inserted into both arms, and a lot of lying around waiting for the machine to do its work.
    The donor would normally expect to have an aching feeling for a few days, nothing worse than that, pretty much like you would expect after a hard gym session or run. You are normally advised to take it easy for a few days, and would get time off work for being a good egg!!!
    There are no lasting issues and the whole process. From the start of the injections to being fully recovered (not aching) is about a week. With the great bonus of more than likely saving a life or at least giving them a fighting chance, they would otherwise not of had.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. this is the option i've also read about. when i first registered they mentioned that you can end up getting on or the other (either needles or dialysis type machine). i'd like to do it, i was just curious to see if anyone else had had the op method.
  8. The bone taping to me was not a big deal. The thought is much worse than the actual experience.
    There a two different types of procedure for this. One is a needle is inserted into the bone and liquid bone marrow is drawn out into a syringe much the same as a blood test but obviously from the bone. The second collects a core sample and is a T piece type device that is screwed in to the bone and approx 15-20mm long and 2-3mm diameter of core is removed. It really sounds a lot worse than it is.
    You are given a local that stings a bit on being put in, as any local does, you wait a few seconds and they get going. You are on your side with your back to the person doing the procedure, you can’t see anything. There is a sensation of being pushed down on, would not describe it as pain, more a pushing pressure sensation.
    Afterwards it’s a bit sore, nothing to write home about. In fact the next day I went quad biking with no ill effects.
    Have had a few more since then and I don’t get concerned at all, it’s a bit more exciting than a blood test nothing more. Some people do have issues with having it done, and you can be sedated, that means hanging around the hospital for a few hours afterwards, before you can go home. Not worth it in my opinion. It’s all over in about 10-15 minutes, and honestly not that bad at all.

Just to add, the old bone marrow harvesting, was done under general anaesthetic. It is normally taken from the sternum first. If they don’t get enough from there they go onto your hips or long bones, until they get enough. Again I’m not aware of this being the way they do things nowadays.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. spiffing, cheers for the reply.
  10. Truffles, if it helps someone else and I get a decent nights kip, what is the problem?

I'd probably get fed as well.
  12. Post revival

One of the guys in work (he's sat next to me now) has put his name down to be a marrow donor. He is about to head off to the med centre to have a chat, but in case they f' him off at the high port has anyone done this whilst serving and are there any concerns.

Also will he be expected to get some buckshee time off?

Cheers in advance.
  13. ;) You'll be surprised what they sometimes sneak into the paperwork that you sign when admitted to hospital, or give blood.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. @mercurydancer and @Legs can confirm what state I was in when I was in hospital. I'm surprised I could even write my name!
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Yep, I'd want more than £8. Month, too!