Bond and the PPK

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by maguire, Nov 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

So, I finally get around to watching Skyfall last night, and it struck me that, iconic or not, the choice of the PPK firing 9mm short for Bond might be a little inadequate for the engagements he found himself in (round a bit light on stopping power and small magazine capacity).

now in the john gardner bond books he's given some interesting choices of sidearms (the VP-70 and ASP for two) but what would the Arrse cognoscenti's weapon of choice be for this kind of thing? what would you proritise? oomph, magazine capacity or concealability?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I thought the original choice of a PPK was because it wouldn't spoil the line of his dinner jacket. That's far more important than stopping power or mag capacity.
    • Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. In the original film poster Sean Connery is holding an air pistol, which may be a Walther.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah but it was a .22, so would've really stung.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bond - and Craig - are blokes with big frames (6ft or so, decent shoulders etc...), they could conceal a standard 9mm Glock/Sig/Browning just as well as they could conceal a PPK.

seems a bit 'pandering to the franchise/legend' to me - just like i don't believe Bonds Aston Martin DB5 would be silver, or indeed that he'd have one: i think he'd have a Mondeo or something, even if it was a slightly sportier version...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It's 'iconic' so I can't see them changing it. I think they only changed it to a P99 because Walther wanted to promote it and paid for it to be featured (I may be wrong)

If they were looking for a modern compact pistol that has a bit of slap behind it you cant go wrong with a Glock 29 or Glock 27. 10mm or .40 and around 9/10 round capacity.
  7. Pistols are old hat. If I were a secret agent, I would carry a claw hammer and a craft knife.
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Which would be diffrent from today because? You mentalist:)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. A phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.
    • Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Just what you see buddy
    • Like Like x 6
  11. 600px-TERMSE_SIDEA-8.jpg

12. fu2

fu2 LE

Desert eagle .50 because it`s a big **** off gun.
  13. There can only be one pistol for use by an MI ARRSE agent:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 17
  14. fu2

fu2 LE

Very british. Better than any foreign muck.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Anyone involved with the security services should simply carry a large sports bag, with a zip.
    • Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 3