• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Bond and the PPK

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
So, I finally get around to watching Skyfall last night, and it struck me that, iconic or not, the choice of the PPK firing 9mm short for Bond might be a little inadequate for the engagements he found himself in (round a bit light on stopping power and small magazine capacity).

now in the john gardner bond books he's given some interesting choices of sidearms (the VP-70 and ASP for two) but what would the Arrse cognoscenti's weapon of choice be for this kind of thing? what would you proritise? oomph, magazine capacity or concealability?

Bond - and Craig - are blokes with big frames (6ft or so, decent shoulders etc...), they could conceal a standard 9mm Glock/Sig/Browning just as well as they could conceal a PPK.

seems a bit 'pandering to the franchise/legend' to me - just like i don't believe Bonds Aston Martin DB5 would be silver, or indeed that he'd have one: i think he'd have a Mondeo or something, even if it was a slightly sportier version...

I thought the original choice of a PPK was because it wouldn't spoil the line of his dinner jacket. That's far more important than stopping power or mag capacity.
It's 'iconic' so I can't see them changing it. I think they only changed it to a P99 because Walther wanted to promote it and paid for it to be featured (I may be wrong)

If they were looking for a modern compact pistol that has a bit of slap behind it you cant go wrong with a Glock 29 or Glock 27. 10mm or .40 and around 9/10 round capacity.

More powerful pistol calibres have become fashionable for three reasons:

1. Weapons technology and metallurgy can now cope with heavier recoil.

2. Drug crazed lunatics and religious fanatics take some knocking down (an argument first used in Northern India during the Raj).

3. The main reason, it,s all linked to cock size, mine is bigger than yours by the way!

The FBI followed the cocksize logic and bombed up with 10mm. Since 10mm takes some holding onto and many agents had no cocks at all, they received much negative feedback from the ranges. They then had the added expence of bombing these down to .40 S&W, the same calibre but with a bit less Ooomphhh.

9mm short or.380ACP will still spoil your whole day day, it will shoot clean through you, even if it hits bone, but is not difficult to handle. Top choice for ladies, seniors and gay actors.

My favourite small hole puncher has to be 7.62 Tokarev. I wish it were more widely available.

Sorry - fixed it now.

The 7.65mm (or .32ACP) is a real ladies round). I've had a couple of .380 ACP calibre guns and they were for use in emergency only because the rounds were so anaemic, so god knows what the .32 ACP was like.

The PPK was/is also prone to jamming - as Princess Ann's RPG bloke found out in the Mall.

Fleming admitted that he was not an expert in the field and said: “Quite honestly, the whole question of expertise in these matters bores me. Obviously, I want to know the facts. If a Gaylord holster is better than a Berns-Martin, I want to know about it, but there is where my interest rather ends."

Sorry - fixed it now.

The 7.65mm (or .32ACP) is a real ladies round). I've had a couple of .380 ACP calibre guns and they were for use in emergency only because the rounds were so anaemic, so god knows what the .32 ACP was like.

The PPK was/is also prone to jamming - as Princess Ann's RPG bloke found out in the Mall.
Weedier than .22lr, but less likely to misfire, 7.65 was successfully used recently by the right wing terrorists of the NSU to kill nine people.

Latest Threads