Bombing - next of kin

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pillager, Jul 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi - this seems like a good idea - apologies if you've seen it already.

Following the disaster in London . . .

"East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of
    Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon
    Weston.

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address
    book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be
    contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to
    quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's
    so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't
    take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really
    could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc."

2. Pillager, a link to the initative would be good.

3. Sounds dubious to me.
    My experience is that blast often removes clothing
    Who is delegated to find phones on someone and then make the call
    Untrained chummies making call could cause extra distress
    If idea is that casualty makes call - they will surely know who to inform and where
    Could well interfere with triage procedure.

4. I got told this one on Saturday "The Met are going to announce it this week".

Could help - national dna database would be better.

5. The initiative was launched before the attacks in London and it wasn't envisaged that it would be a response to that sort of major incident. It's meant for the sort of everyday misfortune, like being knocked down by a chav on a scooter, that we are much more likely to fall victim to.
    In that context finding a phone will not involve sifting through eviscerated remains.
    As far as who would make the call, well the same sort of person who gets jiffed with it now, paramedic at the scene trying to get more information on a casualty, staff at A&E, and ultimately if it comes to it the copper who has to make the 'death knock'.
    Given that the originator of the concept is a paramedic and consequently intimately familiar with the practicalities of the treatment process, including triage, it's safe to assume that concept will not impede the process in the everyday context that it is intended to function within

6. Are you trying to tell us something?.

7. And failing dismally, being a deep cover bulgarian walt infiltrator does mean I fcuk up the Engleski every once in a while.

Many apple-low-gees

8. I read about this a while ago, as well as receiving a round robin a month or so ago, and had a quick look into it by asking the LFB and LAS PR people what they thought. They love it! They went on to give me a run down on man hours and costing of tracking relatives of those involved in accidents that render them unable to communicate their info to the hospital. Further footnote they'd liked to see the ICE nominee holding any info on medications and the injured parties GPs that would help them if an underlying condition existed.

Beebs

9. have heard of this round the wards etc, sounds like a decent idea given that people tend not to carry paper diaries and notebooks with personal details inside.

10. What if they genuinely sell Ice, or Ice cream or In Car Entertainment?

Next of Kin, will fit in a phone - even my ancient one! But as only one scheme is likely to catch on Id agree that this is better than the alternative....