Bombing Britain: an air raid map.

Shows the appalling lack of effort by the Luftwaffe on places like Slough and Middlesbrough.

There's been a few attempts at something similar over the years with the onset of Google Maps and things similar but this looks the most comprehensive.

Info on the data.
Link shows the Prudential Tower in Hull

Somebody told me there was an air raid shelter in the basement & those within where scalded by the water used to fight the fire in the building above ?

The bending of the targetting system used is an interesting one. For years it was thought that happened in Sheffield to direct the bombers away from the steelworks in the east end of the city and they ended up hitting the city centre and surrounding residential areas from the south of the city. One of the local history buffs did a really nice programme on the BBC a few years back about Operation Crucible which showed it was the first real blitz to target infrastructure like hospitals, sewerage works and cause mass civilian causalities.

Some of the ingenuity that went into protecting Sheffield is amazing and you can still find bits of it on the moors around Fox House.

Slime

LE
There's a fair bit of info about the Star Fish sites. One of the many bits of utter genius from WW2.
If anyone visits the Mendips there are quite a lot of remains of a starfish site, and some parts of a Z rocket site right next to it.

Edit.
Stupidly I didn’t click on your link, the starfish site I mentioned appears in that link.

Last edited:
One of the local history buffs did a really nice programme on the BBC a few years back about Operation Crucible which showed it was the first real blitz to target infrastructure like hospitals, sewerage works and cause mass civilian causalities.
Sorry, but given the accuracy of 'precision bombing' by the USAAF with the wonderful Norden bombsight, I can't believe that German night bombing (2 years earlier) had the ability to specifically target and hit 'hospitals, sewerage works', though they may have caused 'mass civilian causalities'.

Sorry, but given the accuracy of 'precision bombing' by the USAAF with the wonderful Norden bombsight, I can't believe that German night bombing (2 years earlier) had the ability to specifically target and hit 'hospitals, sewerage works', though they may have caused 'mass civilian causalities'.
They flew over south and south west Sheffield and hit Nether Edge Hospital, over the city centre into Neepsend and hit the main hospital there and then swung right and followed the river Don back to the cost. The first day of the blitz in Sheffield targetted purely residential areas. The next raid a couple of days later followed a similar path. The city centre was mostly destroyed and about 30% of the housing stock was damaged. Most damage to anything in the east end where the big steel mills and rolling mills were was caused by bombers that had stuff left and were flying to find the river out of town. It was minimal in comparison.

As cricket-playing, technologically-minded people, we perhaps put too much emphasis on the importance of accurate targeting of factories. Yet there are examples of bombed-out factories being back in production within days or weeks. It may be worthwhile to consider that two thirds of a factory's workforce would have been at home at any given time and skilled labour can't be replaced very quickly.

It may be distasteful and contrary to any sense of fair play but in all-out war, civilians (as an integral part of munitions manufacture) make a highly desirable target. Even if they don't become casualties, they can be made less effective by subjecting them to hardships such as lack of accommodation, difficulty in accessing food and water and disrupting their means of getting to work.

If you destroy your enemy's factories, it's likely that your foe's first action will be to rebuild them in more dispersed and less vulnerable locations, making the task of destroying them yet harder and the result less effective. Better then to blast the area around the factories to isolate them from the diminishing workforce.

They reconnoitred both and concluded from the photographs that they must have forgotten that they’d bombed them...
Given that Middlesbrough was the first major town and industrial target on Hermann's list, I've often wondered why it wasnt attacked more frequently.

Perhaps Göring calculated that to do so would result in an increase in anti-aircraft defences, not what he'd want at the principal landfall for attacks on Sheffield, Manchester et al.

Are you sure that the Luftwaffe didn't target Middlesbrough heavily cos it still looks like they did
True, but if they'd used customary German thoroughness, they could have wiped the whole place off the map.

In spite of the efforts of the Poet Laureate, Sir John Betjeman.
He needed shooting. Destroying the Mars Bar factory would have ruined troops morale and cost us the war.

Link shows the Prudential Tower in Hull

Somebody told me there was an air raid shelter in the basement & those within where scalded by the water used to fight the fire in the building above ?
AFAIU, correct. Down Holderness Road opposite East Hull Baths by the big Ford dealership is the site of another communal shelter still occupied.

Latest Threads