Bomber Command to get memorial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Uncivil_Servant, May 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not before time too...

2. agreed, it's about time they were given official recognition.
  3. Just read the book. The one by the author who sucks paras ccoks

Massive losses on a daily basis, the odds were dreadful for these chaps, the psychological aspects of the campaign would've had me sticking my hand up for LMF

shocking that they were completely ignored and unrecognised in the post war years

4. Short term memory perhaps, they really should have to read the history of Bomber Command.
  5. About time they got one.Long overdue.
  6. Sadly, too late for most of them.
  7. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

That will be daphne du maurier then?
  8. 55,000 killed confronting and defeating evil.

Strikes me that alone should have ensured that there a memorial years ago. Probably the men in 'ill-fitting' suits were afraid of offending our European Soviet Union chums the good old Germans. The 'good old' Germans I know are as ashamed of, and sorry for, the Nazis, as much as we hated them.

My uncle Cyril, DSO and Bar, DFC and Bar, is 90 plus now and still we cannot get a word out of him about flying over occupied Europe night after night and later day after day.

I thank God that the late and unlamented government did not re-name Waterloo Station and pull down Nelson's column for fear that they offended the 'cheese eating surrender monkeys' just across the English Channel.
  9. When you see the graves in Berlin CWGC cemetary, it gives you some idea of the scale of the losses, and they are almost all in complete crew groups of seven
  10. :p :p :p
    (nice one!)
  11. Hope the monument is something appropriate, and more traditional than some of the modern attempts.

Full-size Lanc doing a wing-over would be quite dramatic.....
  12. Well it's not what I call inspiring, but some may like it.

13. I quite like it - it's got a quiet dignity about it.

My main concern is that it would become a graffiti target for every loony bleeding-heart handwringer in the vicinity :x
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Grandad was lost over Holland in a Halifax from 415 Sqn. I support this!