Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Bomber Command clasp awarded - SEVENTY YEARS LATE

Surely this should have been presented by the RAF or at least the Queen's representative in his area ie the Lord Lieutenant for Suffolk!?

^ I overlooked the fine detail of the app process. You're quite right. But for the foot dragging and forever waiting period, there is always the Burma Star for the poor bastards the Japs captured and used as slave labour.

"You weren't fighting; you were prisoners."

The Whitehall bean counter who decided they weren't to receive that gong ought to have been turned over to a contingent of those former prisoners for a brief period of attitude adjustment. I would suggest it would have been a damned short period.

^ I overlooked the fine detail of the app process. You're quite right. But for the foot dragging and forever waiting period, there is always the Burma Star for the poor bastards the Japs captured and used as slave labour.

"You weren't fighting; you were prisoners."

The Whitehall bean counter who decided they weren't to receive that gong ought to have been turned over to a contingent of those former prisoners for a brief period of attitude adjustment. I would suggest it would have been a damned short period.

Blokes that were orderd to surrender in Singapore. Entire Batalions. Some of them had only arrived within the previous 24 hours.

Mealy mouthed twat should have curled up and died of shame.

Apart from the fact that service cut short by wounds death or capture automatically qualified you for the relevant star and those captured in Singapore Qualified for the Pacific Star

He was also given a plaque by the Mayor of Sudbury in recognition of his work telling his stories to local schools and other organisations.

Fair play to the bloke.

Makes you wonder how many of the ******* on here have been given plaques for doing much the same.

My metalwork teacher was a rear gunner on Lancs. He was hard as **** and was rude to all the other staff. We thought he was ace!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

I'm still waiting for my Cold War clasp - or at least a note saying"ta very much for your time... you drunk!"

But kudos to anyone who sat in the rear turret of a WW2 bomber - he bloody deserves it. It's not something I fancy for a game of solders.

It's not a game mucker. If they didn't solder, he'd have fallen out of the ******* turret. Probably.

I agree, anyone who ever served knows the irony of the saying. But I think they were tucked in tight in them turrets.

One couldn't have a gunner falling out the of the arse of your Lancaster when you might need him.