Bombay Commuter Trains Bombed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jul 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Dozens reported killed in India bombings" 11 July 2006

Seven explosions hit Bombay's commuter rail network Tuesday evening during rush hour, ripping apart train compartments, officials said. Indian television reported dozens may have been killed.

The blasts appeared to have come in quick succession — a common tactic employed by Kashmiri militants that have repeatedly targeted India's cities.
  2. From the Associated Press.

There were at least 100 fatalities and approximately 300 wounded.

"Indian Stocks Down on Bombay Blasts" 11 July 2006

Bombay is the hub of Indian finance. The vast majority of Bombay office workers take those trains to get to work.
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

[off-topic knee jerk deleted]

Kashmiri separatists my ARRSE....God help any Moslems in Mumbai at the moment...some poor sod is almost guaranteed to get torched just because he happens to believe in the 'wrong' set of gods....

Back in 2002 , after communal violence in Gujerat a Moslem woman, NIGHAT GANDHI, married to a Hindu wrote this in one of India's larger dailies:

Thoughts and prayers with the families now bereaved, equally as for those of British casualties.

Mathew 5: 9

Le Chevre
  4. Wildly off-topic meanderings and responses chopped.

170 people so far dead. That's 170 Commonwealth citizens killed on their way to work. Now the disturbing thing apart from the atrocity itself, is the leading militant Kashmiri groups have denied responsibility. Both Lashkar-e-Taiba and Hizb-ul-Mujahideen have denied making the attacks, even going as far as to condemn the attacks and describing them as barbaric. Castlereagh and other South Asia hands can either confirm or put me straight here, but I thought these "groups normally attacked Indian Military, Para-military and Government targets?

The initial resonse by Indian security forces is to blame Kashmiri militants, but Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma said in a barely polite statement

"Pakistan should fully join the battle in isolating and eliminating terrorists"

When asked whether he suspected the hand of terrorists operating from Pakistan to be behind the July 11 blasts, Sharma said: "We have to first ascertain the identity of terrorists and then establish the source of their funding. There is a global network of militant organizations operating from the Pakistani territory."

Now you could just write this off as the old India-Pakistan thing, but I believe he has a point.

And as per Goatmans' sentiments , condolences to the bereaved of a Commonwealth nation.