Bomb maps

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by supermatelot, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a Bomb map of Plymouth which I bought from the library some time ago for a couple of quid. I cant find any decent versions of it online though, It's only just larger than A4 sized and as you can guess - very condensed. Does anybody know of any more detailed ones online, for the whole UK as well?

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Here's one of York

Apparently they followed the river counting the bridges over the Ouse which led them to the Railway Station

3. Scan it into your computer then you can do what you like with it
  4. 33 Engineer Regiment hold all maps with bomb locations, I know there was a lot of agro a few years ago when a certain former troop commander of Outstations copied all the maps and started up a commercial company offering risk assessments throughout London for construction projects, I personally didn't see what the problem was as it was a good bit of ingenuity and actually went some way to helping keep construction sites safe; if they were in an area they knew had been heavily bombed they would carry out bomb surveys using boreholes and would also then provide EOD qualified banksmen to oversee the excavations.

I would be very interested to see a scan of your Plymouth map, I grew up as a kid in the area I know the bombing went out to along the Tamar river up to Bullpoint, the City itself was totally flattened during the Blitz.
  5. Dont know about online ones, but when I was in the National Archive today I noticed a whole collection of them if thats any help.
  6. I had a boss who said the Luftwaffe was the best thing that ever happend to Plymouth
  7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)