Bomb Explosion in Oslo

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gallowglass, Jul 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Breaking glass in Oslo!

Incidentally, Al Jazeera have reported the following:

'Norwegian prosecutors on Tuesday filed a terrorism charge against Mullah Krekar, founder of the Kurdish Islamist group Ansar al-Islam, who is accused of threatening a former minister, Erna Solberg, with death.

"Norway will pay a heavy price for my death," he said. "If, for example, Erna Solberg deports me and I die as a result, she will suffer the same fate."'

2. BBC saying at least eight injured so far.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

oslo has its manchester moment, I wonder when denmark will get hit
  4. Closer to home here, I wonder when Bangkok or Pattaya (etc.) will get hit. I have noticed quite a heavy influx of Ayrabs and others of the Musselman faith over the past few years.
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

It must have been some size of a suicide bomber. Quite a bang by the look of things, if only two dead they're very lucky.
    Starts with C and ends with S, five letters
  6. HHH

HHH LE

7. And just to make things more interesting, some joker dressed as a cop has opened fire on people at a youth camp on Utøya, an island not far from Oslo.

VG Nett - Forsiden - VG Nett only in Norwegian, but will doubtless be picked up by English-speaking press soon).
  8. On BBC News now:

BBC News - Oslo bomb - latest updates
  9. Norwegian civpol getting a crash course in the 4C's it appears.
  10. Aftenposten (Norway's major "quality" newspaper) has been told to evacuate offices by the police. They've just put up an announcement that they'll resume updating their website as soon as they've found alternative premises.

In UK terms, that's a bit like the Guardian/Times/Telegraph/Independent going off the air.

9/11-style headline from VG, the Norwegian equivalent of the Daily Fail/Scum "We're under attack!" - Vi er under angrep! - VG Nett
  11. Latest reports are saying that a gunman masquerading as a Oslo policeman has opened fire with small arms hitting many .... Reports are still coming in.

Safe to say that Oslo is under pre-meditated terrorist attack.
  12. If it is a coordinated attack as you suggest i would be expecting to see secondary devices.
    Could it be a one man crusade/jihad?
  13. Yes. The shooting (5 injured) was at a summer camp of the youth organization of the Norwegian equivalent of the Labour Party, which prime minister Jens Stoltenberg had been due to visit.

The Oslo bomb went off outside Stoltenberg's office, so they're clearly targetting the government.

Huge chunk of Oslo evacuated, including central railway station and TV station. Suspect packages being discovered.

Could well be more to come.

Incredibly sad, because this was such a peaceful country. Have spent several holidays in the mountains, and no doubt many on here will have done winter warfare trg in the country.
  14. Attacking children. Sometimes I hate this world. But to stop things like this, is why most of us joined up. Despite everything, The British Army is still a Force For Good.
    • Like Like x 2