Bomb Disposal

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by flynavy, Feb 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been reading an article on Sky news, and saw this comment

"if they remved oxgen from the bomb, could it still go off? If not, then perhaps they could use hilium in an enclosed container over the bomb to displace the oxygen around bomb? If it does produce own oxygen, then would the bomb still ignite at super cool temperature? if no, then spray bomb with liquid nitrogen from heaily armoured vehicle before bomb disposal work on it. if bomb heats up again, they could retreat the bomb.

would spraying the bomb with liquid nitrogen damage any ignition mechanism anyway? especially if it was a electronic device?

could they not use EMP to tigger bomb at a safe distance?

there must be an answer!"

Being in the Navy and working on aircraft I have no knowledge of such matters, but is any of this possible?

reference: Bomb Disposal comment

2. You want people to comment on the bone comments on another website that appears to attract bone commentators?

If it were that easy, don't you think someone might have just worked that out a while ago??

3. Problems with this approach:

1. Keeping LO2 and LN2 could enough in AFG would likely be a problem
    2. There's O2 in everything
    3. Helium is extremely inflammable
    4. EMP - wtf?

4. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Oh yeah, they've not though about all that stuff.

Wow, you should become a boffin and make millions.

Sidney Alford, watchout.

5. I preferred using a teleporter.

P.S. Didn't Sidney get the idea for Vulcan from Star Trek?

6. Where the feck did you learn chemistry?

7. Trek Walt! :D

Everyone knows EOD are about to be issued with the Phaser A1. 8)

8. 1. Yes
    2. No there isn't! Where is the O2 in Sodium Chloride.
    3. That would be the inert gas helium! The one that finds it hard to react with anything :twisted: That helium.
    4. Electro Magnetic Phenomena.

2/10 - see me behind the bike sheds Einstein!

9. Phaser

PHASed Energy Rectification. :(

Note to self

1. Girlfriend - get one.

2. The outdoors - go there :twisted:

10. Err shouldn't that be Electro Magnetic Pulse......

11. The Royal Regiment of Scotland are also being issued the new weapons. But the Phaser settings have been changed from 'Stun' or 'Kill' to 'Malkie the b@stards!' :twisted:

12. No it should be Phenomena. However if you are referring to a weaponized system the Pulse is more appropriate as it describes more accurately what is happening. Earth is always being hit by EM from space and it does not arrive in discreet packages (pulses) but is a continuous wave. Weaponized EM does arrive in a pulse.

However it is an argument on semantics and you will never get me to admit I am wrong :D :D

13. In which case I shall leave the point there....... :lol:

14. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Are you using made up words?

15. No. Weaponized mean to adapt for use as a weapon of war e.g. anthrax spores can be weaponized, cluster sub-munitions need to be loaded, assembled and packed (LAP) before they can be deployed, used and functioned as intended.

If you mean my use of the z as opposed to the s then that is purely a matter of convention and the fact that I am using a Serbian Cyrillic keyboard.

I am however using big words as its science.