bomb disposal - whats it like?

#1
on my selection i got all but 6 right on the TST, and apparently had pretty top notch scores on the tests you do at the AFCO. my recruiter spoke to the RE guy and apparently he said that once i was in they'd probably give me a decent shove to bomb disposal.

i start training soon, so obviously theres a lot between now and making that decision, because im going in as a sparky its a good while.

i just wondered what sort of stuff bomb disposal gets involved in, what sort of postings are you likely to get, are you always off somewhere taking up landmines and sorting out unexploded bombs, or is it more a case of getting called to do some work as and when and you are a normal combat engineer when your not needed?

at this point in time i also would like to do my cdo course and/or p-coy (obviously a year of training may make me think twice) and do bomb disposal get attached to the various units, or do you get attached as a combat engineer.

obviously theres a few ifs and or buts before i have to seriously make a choice, but id like the opinion of some existing guys, as i think its difficult to judge the reality of a job until your actually doing it, especially as the army is unlikely to go out of its way to point out a job is shit :p.

chris
 
#2
All men start as Combat Enginners. That means everyone who joins the RE. From the job briefs i got ive read that you can go on to do these roles. I Dont know how. Maybe your picked. Maybe you pick. though i do know you learn how to clear mine fields ECT.


Sorry if i have said anything wrong. Im just about to go to selection.
 
#4
jon752 said:
All men start as Combat Enginners. That means everyone who joins the RE. From the job briefs i got ive read that you can go on to do these roles. I Dont know how. Maybe your picked. Maybe you pick. though i do know you learn how to clear mine fields ECT.


Sorry if i have said anything wrong. Im just about to go to selection.
yeh, its like becoming a diver etc. i was told once im in (as in finish my trade) they would suggest it as a route. obviously they arent going to pin me to a chair like that scene in clockwork orange and force me to learn if i want to do something else instead.

part of the Combat eng. training is clearing mines. from a friend who is ex intel corps, those sort of roles, you volunteer for and your CO has to agree that your suitable, and that you usually have to pass some kind of pre-course tests to confirm you are right for the job.

and i bet doing what the picture shows to somebody in real life would make them empty their arrse pretty quick.
also, i cant help but think that being that close to a bomb of that size, surely if it went off that protective gear they are wearing would do little to stop them being spread over a large area.
 
#5
Not sure that it hasn't changed since my day (if I am wrong I apologise and stand corrected), but EOD was a posting. regardless of trade. You are posted to EOD by manning and records, after training or after completing a posting. Once there you are traded EOD, subject to passing you will do a tour in that posting as you would any other. You may be able to make an expression of intersest also, when you are mid training. When I was an instructor it was luck of the draw (although SOMETIMES posting prefs. were honoured). Hope this helps? If not, I will bore off.
 
#6
also re. diving. you would need to apply for the shallow water course in your unit. you would need to be recomended by your troop management and more likely than not be subjected to an assesment by your regimental dive master. on passing that you would then be loaded onto a course. obviously you will then need to pass the pre aptitude tests run by the dive school, followed by the course itself.
 

chimera

LE
Moderator
#10
Noisy if you get it wrong..........
 
#11
#12
chimera said:
Noisy if you get it wrong..........
:D :D :D :D

normal practicewhen done wrong is to jump into the air & spray your body across a large area as i remember.

 

diplomat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#13
Consider been an Ammunition Technician, as they stay in trade all the time. Lots of EOD there, but also other ammunition technical jobs.
 
#14
diplomat said:
Consider been an Ammunition Technician, as they stay in trade all the time. Lots of EOD there, but also other ammunition technical jobs.
not RE though, is it :?: :?: :?: :?:
 

diplomat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#15
A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
diplomat said:
Consider been an Ammunition Technician, as they stay in trade all the time. Lots of EOD there, but also other ammunition technical jobs.
not RE though, is it :?: :?: :?: :?:
Never too late to change, I don't think he has started training yet.
 
#16
no i havent started yet, start soon though.

i wanted to go RE because i get a trade as well, get to blow things up, and as a corps it offers me everything i want out of an army career, good physical challeneges, ie AACC, p-coy, even attached to UKSF, so its not like ill run out of challenges, can do diver course, bomb disposal etc with relative ease, along with all the other benefits of the army.

theres tonnes of different places i could get posted, and unless im wrong, combat engineers go pretty much anywhere with anyone (the battle honours are 'everywhere' arent they?).

if i go RLC, surely i have to fart about changing cap badges if i want to see combat like i would with the RE. not to mention, i was told that the RLC ammo tech does more then bomb disp. and i could spend a few years pollishing bullets.

also, i dont know much about actual bomb disp. as a job. if i chose to do it full time i could hate it. if i go RE i get a chance to scope it out a bit more, rather then hoping its all good.

cheers
 
#17
christheclimber....best of luck with everything. keep us informed with how you are progressing. If you join the RE you are joinging a Corps with the greatest of histories, well respected within the Forces and the very institution responsible for some of the happiest times of my life.
 
#18
theslayerofmen said:
christheclimber....best of luck with everything. keep us informed with how you are progressing. If you join the RE you are joinging a Corps with the greatest of histories, well respected within the Forces and the very institution responsible for some of the happiest times of my life.
im at lichfield 3rd december, starting as a sparks, i enlist in like 4 weeks. i cant ******* wait tbh.

only got 7/8 weeks left, and i bet that will fly by.

my training is going well, dunno about 1.5 time, but it was 9: 32 at ADSC so i think its at least around there.

been doing more circuits, a bit more distance, and a lot more hills.

im steppin it up a bit now, gunna really hit the hills and such, but judging from the rest of the people at my ADSC, i would still be upper middle of the pack if i did my run 45 seconds slower, so iv done more circuits and strength as they are my weaker areas. still confident i can hit below a 10 min 1.5, and on the day ill probably be looking at around 9:35 ish at most, from previous experience.

so i know its gunna be hard, but i think im in a good enough place physically to see the 14 through.

cheers,
chris
 
#19
christheclimber said:
if i go RLC, surely i have to fart about changing cap badges if i want to see combat like i would with the RE. not to mention, i was told that the RLC ammo tech does more then bomb disp. and i could spend a few years pollishing bullets.

also, i dont know much about actual bomb disp. as a job. if i chose to do it full time i could hate it. if i go RE i get a chance to scope it out a bit more, rather then hoping its all good.

cheers
You have your head screwed on and have clearly researched it. If it is hardcore IEDD you want then RLC AT is the way - but you are quite right in that the RE will give you far more options than the RLC ever will if you choose to subsequently go down another route.

Stick to RE, if you then decide that IEDD is where your specific interests lie then you can always transfer - additionally there will soon be financial incentives to do so.
 
#20
Im my day it mainly involved cleaning and oiling AEH pins ready for the next inspection. :(
And FI tours, Cyprus, Belize, Kosovo and so on. Its a good role when your doing it.
RLC, ffs, the ability to stack it on a shelf does not a BDO make.
Plus with 33 they'll happily let you go do AA Commando or P coy. Theres trade pay as well :)
But as its REMRO deciding your fate you'll probably end up in an ADR sqn, I was meant to be going to field survey.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top