Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Disposal Robots

A history of Bomb disposal robots/EOD Remote Equipment/EOD RCV (whichever you prefer).

There‘s also some good footage of NI.

Had a good play on a 'wheelbarrow' in 1984. Pig stick destroyed everything before the electrical circuit could arm. Interesting toy, still viable now. There's a nice pic out there of one keeping guard over an ISIL/ AQ terrorist dead in the street in France, I guess waiting to see if his body-belt went off after he perished.

Ritch

LE
A history of Bomb disposal robots/EOD Remote Equipment/EOD RCV (whichever you prefer).

There‘s also some good footage of NI.

Genuine interest here @dingerr - have you ever used one and how would you say it compares to actually getting hands on with a device?

I remember reading in a book someone likening it to a PlayStation game and not being overly concerned if a device goes off because of the robot.

Genuine interest here @dingerr - have you ever used one and how would you say it compares to actually getting hands on with a device?

I remember reading in a book someone likening it to a PlayStation game and not being overly concerned if a device goes off because of the robot.

I initially trained on the Mk8 wheelbarrow (1991) then when I was first posted after my course I had to learn the Mk7. Used Mk8 extensively during NI tours and the Mk8b in UK and NI. We also had a miniature RCV called Buckeye in NI and a remote control landrover. In Afghanistan I sometimes had dragon runner, which was man portable, but about as much use as tits on a fish

The method of remotely attacking a target is the same throughout, it’s just learning to use the different functions of each equipment in the same way different cars need a little getting used to.

One of the principles of IEDD is that remote equipment is to be deployed where possible.

I got to look around the Nigerian police force’s equivalent of a G10 a couple of years back.

Three brand new gucci Andros robots being prepared for a demonstration.

Apart from that they never left the store, what with them being new and shiny...