Bomb bomb bomb. Bomb bomb bomb Iran

Col Lang Sounds like a plan... (Iran/Israel)
It is about 3200 km. roundtrip from the Israeli coast to Natanz, Iran. Ha'aretz says that the IDF is flying long range training missions to Gibraltar practising in-flight refueling among other things. It is 3800 km. roundtrip to Gibraltar from the Israeli coast.

- This is undoubtedly a message. The big question is whether or not it is a message that that will become a mission if Israel does not have its way. Is it a "bluff?" There is only one way to find out. That is how "bluffs" work.

- 3800 kms. is the more or less straight line distance across Jordan and Iraq.

- Small yield nuclear weapons? It never made any sense even as a planning drill any other way.

- President Peres is supposed to tell President Obama today that Natanyahu is a bit of a wild man who might do anything imaginable if not given what he wants. This is an interesting ploy, but unlikely to work well with Obama and Clinton.

- And then one must consider the Jericho force...

Taken altogether these indicators point to a massive Israeli psychological campaign intended to push Iran and the US into doing what Israel wants.

The big question remains whether or not Israel will do the deed if frustrated. pl
A few 5 kt buckets of sunshine. That should get Qom nicely riled up. Stinks of information operation.

I doubt Bibi is remotely serious, he's just playing the mishugina hard man. He just wants Obama to nod off on a greater Israel with the dusky natives penned in and totally disenfranchised. This is a useful way to hold the Hawaiian's feet to the fire.

He may well get his way. Obama just can't afford the mess this would cause and recent Israel leaders have a track record of politically expedient strategic folly.

alib said:
It is about 3200 km. roundtrip from the Israeli coast to Natanz, Iran. Ha'aretz says that the IDF is flying long range training missions to Gibraltar practising in-flight refueling among other things. It is 3800 km. roundtrip to Gibraltar from the Israeli coast.

I may be wrong, but, I would assume Jordan and Iraq would be mighty pi$$ed off with having Iseali inflght tankers circling in their airspace, they make very tempting targets.

Holdfast said:
I may be wrong, but, I would assume Jordan and Iraq would be mighty pi$$ed off with having Iseali inflght tankers circling in their airspace, they make very tempting targets.
I would assume the IDF have factored that in too . . .

Holdfast said:
alib said:

I may be wrong, but, I would assume Jordan and Iraq would be mighty pi$$ed off with having Isreali inflght tankers circling in their airspace, they make very tempting targets.
Israel bombed Iraq in the 1981 without to much of a problem

CharlieBubbles said:
Holdfast said:
I would assume the IDF have factored that in too . . .
It would make it a very big Op and a very niosey one too. I can't see Israel getting enough planes on target to safe guard the bombers from the Iranian airforce.

Not unless they have friendly forces already on the ground in Iran?

OR . . the US have another two carrier fleets flying decoy up close to the Iranian radar . . .

Holdfast said:
alib said:

If they get past Jordan, I doubt Iraq has much to stop them...

I think that the IDF dropped a couple of Hindenburg 2250 Litre drop tanks at a Royal Saudi Air Force Base the day after it was declared operational back in the 1980's. The base was Tabruk in NW Saudi. They did it just to prove they could. THe RSAF have never removed the drop tanks in between the twin runways as is a reminder of the IDF. I see the IDF on a very offensive posture. The Irainan AF know if they hit Israeli assets that the US will respond and take out key assets.

CharlieBubbles said:
Not unless they have friendly forces already on the ground in Iran?

OR . . the US have another two carrier fleets flying decoy up close to the Iranian radar . . .
Been a long time since I read up on this, but IIRC, Mossad did something like that during Op. Thunderbolt(Entebbe). Mossad was supposed to have infiltrated agents into an airfield the IDF might have needed to refule the plane carrying the SF and the hostages. In the event, the airfield was not required and the Mossad spooks simply exfiltrated without anyone knowing they had been there...

Standingby to be corrected; like I say it's been a long time since I read the book this scenario was discribed in.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know that we are not unfriendly to Israel, but I'm surprised that we are letting their military aircraft use RAF Gibraltar for Training missions, especially of such a sensitive nature.

The Israelis did destroy a nuclear reactor in Iraq in 1981 with an air strike by F16's supported by F15's. The flight was over 1000 miles and they had to pass through Jordanian and Saudi Airspace. They completely destroyed the reactor before it was fueled killing a few Iraqi soldiers and a French contractor I believe. (There was some speculation that that French Contractor was one of the Mossad agents on the ground placing designators). As a bit of trivia I believe that one of the Israeli pilots went on the be the first Israeli in space. I read a good book about it but can't for the life of me remember the title.

Hopefully they will bomb the Iranians back to the stoneage.

biffins-bridge said:
The Israelis did destroy a nuclear reactor in Iraq in 1981 with an air strike by F16's supported by F15's. The flight was over 1000 miles and they had to pass through Jordanian and Saudi Airspace. They completely destroyed the reactor before it was fueled killing a few Iraqi soldiers and a French contractor I believe. (There was some speculation that that French Contractor was one of the Mossad agents on the ground placing designators). As a bit of trivia I believe that one of the Israeli pilots went on the be the first Israeli in space. I read a good book about it but can't for the life of me remember the title.
QUite a while ago I read "Ambush at Osirak" by Herbert Crowder. It was quite good but I cannot recall if it was non-fiction or fact based fiction. I do remember liking the book though.

biffins-bridge said:
The book was called Bullseye Iraq, I still have it somewhere.
I don't think they asked America first mind.

So as stated if / when the Yids strike. The Persian will strike back with a vengeance , blocking the straits of Hormuz and the world will grind to a halt through lack of oil until peace returns... Or.

Well as its going to happen soon it’s a good job there is so much oil around in the West .

Rotterdam, Europe's biggest port, is running out of room for more oil, US reserves are at a 19-year record and tankers are being used as floating storage off Britain's south coast, even though OPEC is reducing production.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...rves-of-unused-oil-put-strain-on-storage.html

Is that just a reaction from greedy oil merchants , waiting to make a killing when oil hits $200 a barrel or do THEY( the men with the black helicopters and the Pres of the USA and all the other people who really rule the world-you know :? ) know something we don’t.

Ooo where has me tin foil gone I need a bigger hat :D

There's another book, "Two Minutes over Baghdad", which is fairly interesting; the astronaut was Ilan Ramon, youngest pilot on the Osirak op, and who died in the Colombia shuttle loss in 2003.

Noises from Washington suggest that Netanyahu is being invited to return to his box...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6229180.ece

and ISTR that either Gates or Gen Jones has suggested within the past few days that there's no point in a strike against Iran since it would do little to retard any weapons programme and would do far more harm than good if carried out. T

biffins-bridge said:
Iraqi airspace is US carrier group territory but I doubt Obama would dare to obstruct the IAF if they chanced it.

A decade after Osiraq Saddam actually had a serious secret nuke program that the Israelis knew nothing about. The Yanks were shocked at how near the old bandit came to getting in the nuclear club.

The Israelis also replicated Osiraq in Syria recently. Again they missed the wetware. That was another strike against a surface level unhardened early stage facility. Piece of piss compared with the multi-sortie action needed to make a serious dent in the deep buried Iranian program.

From
Israel's Attack on Osiraq: A Model for Future Preventive Strikes?
I have three findings. First, future preventive strikes against nuclear targets will be less successful. Other nations seeking a nuclear option also have learned valuable lessons from the strike on Osiraq: dispersal and redundancy of facilities. Thus, while a future strike may hinder nuclear plans momentarily, the time will not be measured in years unless followed with more strikes. Second, the media backlash after a strike will serve as an impetus to radicalize the proliferator’s motivation toward going nuclear. Third, decision makers should make every attempt to work within the confines of current global constructs for stability. Regimes such as the IAEA and U.N. require cooperation for strength. By working within international norms, nonproliferation may take longer than through other means, but it stands a chance to be far more effective in the end.

alib said:
biffins-bridge said:
Iraqi airspace is US carrier group territory but I doubt Obama would dare to obstruct the IAF if they chanced it.

From
Israel's Attack on Osiraq: A Model for Future Preventive Strikes?
I think they would. If they are patrolling the airspace and suddenly the radar finds a sortie of unidentified aircraft then they would at least intercept. One of the ploys to keep israel out of Gulf 1 was a refusal to give them squawk codes.