Bolognese Recipie

crazy_chester

Old-Salt
Has anyone got a good recipie / walkthrough from scratch for bolognese sauce? I am progressing with cookery and am largely self taught and would like to move away from jars of ragu or dolmio.

Mates, who are more experienced than me, tell me that it is fairly easy to do a good bolgnese from scratch. The wife is a bit of a mushroom fan, and I try and incorporate them into a spag bol. I also add a splash of red, worcester sauce and black pepper. I used to add chopped red pepper but have been advised this is not ideal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Right

My way you chop everything up at the start so you have it all ready

1 large onion chopped very small 3mm bits , look up how to chop a onion video , easy
1or 2 sticks of celery , chopped very fine smaller than the onion

I carrot , again really small

All that goes in the pan low for 15-20 minutes to soften without colouring , its called a mirepoix in french , the basis of all stocks, stews etc . It build flavour .

Next chop up some mushrooms , big field ones have more flavour than button ones , again as small as possible

Chop up a good few garlic cloves or mince , i would use about the same size as two oxo cubes worth

Get some red wine ready , about a large glass .

When the veg is done take out and put in the beef mince or beef and pork mince , sometimes i put a bit of very finely chopped bacon in .
Brown that untill the meat is no longer red . Drain the fat off and add the garlic and musrooms , cook for 1-2 minutes then add the veg back .

cook for a few more minutes so the mushrooms start to cook down , then add the wine , and a can off good tomatoes and a dollop of tomatoe puree and a pinch of oregano .

Then simmer for as long as possible , , if you can dump it in a slow cooker for a few hours , if not a hour at least simmering on the hob .

Not written very well but im half cut .

Has anyone got a good recipie / walkthrough from scratch for bolognese sauce? .
Plum tomatoes, red wine vinegar and fresh basil. Chilli flakes if you like a bit of zing.

No Bolognese is complete without peppers, mushrooms and onions.

Mushrooms? Seriously?
Put some pork in for flavour (pancetta)' maybe temper the acidity of tomatoes with either sugar or milk (check nigel slaters recipe)
Never use spaghetti use fettuccini and always mix sauce with pasta before putting on the plate

NEQcounter

War Hero
Serve with a side salad of rocket, a few on the vine tomatoes, a couple of chopped up spring onions, top with shaved hard Italian cheese and a drizzle of a really good quality balsamic vinager - superb!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
The bollocks of it is reduced tomatoes, meat and onions.

Fry your onions and meat gently. Beef mince or you can use chicken for a change.

Add chopped tomatoes, oil and puree. Boil vigorously to reduce and take it off the heat to give it some time to get its act together - that's it.

Everything else is your own personal touch.

Me, I like it like-a this.

Mince.
Chopped Tomatoes.
Salt.
Pepper.
Basil.
Mushrooms.
Onions.
Peppers.
Puree.
Extra virgin olive oil.
Chorizo.
Stock.

Fry mince with onions.

Add mushrooms and peppers.

Drain.

Season.

Add tomatoes and puree.

Add stock and oil.

Add basil and chorizo.

Boil hard and fast for 'a bit'

Rest... probably for about as long as it takes to boil the Pasta.

Sorted.

DITA

MIA
Fry off 250g of beef mince, with 250g of pork mince, once browned add 1 chopped onion and cook off for a couple if minutes. Add 2/3 cloves of garlic or two tsp of lazy garlic, and cook for a further 2/3 minutes. Throw in a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes and turn the heat down, leave to simmer for about 10/15 minutes. Stir in two/three tbsp of tomato purée, a good pinch of flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper and leave to simmer a further 20 minutes. Serve with pasta cooked to your liking, and added extras (Parmesan and garlic bread). Recipe courtesy of Antonio Carluccio (probably not spelt right).

I add some Lea & Perrins with the tomato purée, and some herbs with the salt and pepper.

Forgot the stock! About 300ml hot water with a beef stock cube, after the tomatoes...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

minkey

Old-Salt
CC take whats above and make it your own, travel across Italy and they all have slightly different ways of cooking the same dish. Just keep experimenting with ingredients till you and your wife love it. I'm with spode I always add a bit of sugar

Bugger i forgot i crumble oxo cube in as well . And drain the pasta , slighty under done and add i half the meat to it and mix it up for a minute or to the serve with remaining meat on top.

DITA

MIA
Mushrooms? Seriously?
Put some pork in for flavour (pancetta)' maybe temper the acidity of tomatoes with either sugar or milk (check nigel slaters recipe)
Never use spaghetti use fettuccini and always mix sauce with pasta before putting on the plate
Agreed with mixing sauce with pasta, we always use Fuseli. The kids love it!

Yes i gather thee allways different , strictely speaking its a meat ragu or sauce cooked so that the meat breaks right down . Usually a mix of pork and beef , sometimes gorund up leftover beef etc .

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Bugger i forgot i crumble oxo cube in as well . And drain the pasta , slighty under done and add i half the meat to it and mix it up for a minute or to the serve with remaining meat on top.
That's all right.

I forgot the garlic.

Don't forget the cheese on top - a mixture of melted cheddar and sprinkled parmesan. And choose your wine carefully and in vast quants.

DITA

MIA
Don't forget the cheese on top - a mixture of melted cheddar and sprinkled parmesan. And choose your wine carefully and in vast quants.
Yuck! Nae wine, a decent coffee will wash it down nicely!

Never mind the sauce, use spaetzle instead of spaghetti. Wife did it tonight and it was yum.

The sauce sticks to it better.

In a heavy enamel pan
Brown cut up beef and set aside
Cook onion, diced carrots and diced celery and pancetta
Add garlic, basil stalks
Bubble red wine
Add tinned tomatoes and beef stock and serious amounts of pepper
Touch of sugar (if you haven't used carrots), and red wine vinegar
Return meat to pan, check for seasoning
Into 140 oven for four hours
Take out and cook pasta
Stir sauce until Beef shredded