Bollocks....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Cpt_Subtext, Apr 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Guys, just went to sit my Barbs this morning but before I could sit the test I was weighed and measured and told that I was 11Kgs over my acceptable weight so unable to do the test untill ive lost it....

I mean I knew I was a little heavier but had no idea id become such a fatso... Either way its given me a steely eyed determination to get it off as soon as possible and am going to get weighed again in 14 days to see how im getting on...

No more snacking on blocks of lard for me then...... doh!

2. You doing any training at the mo' fella?

3. 11kg is about 24 lbs i think, which is a bit under 2 stone, what were you trying to join?

If you were going for RLC stores, i cant see why they wouldnt let you in.

4. I notice on this thread that in the title on the Home page it says b*ll*cks but in the thread it is titled 'balls'. I posted an anecdote on another thread about RSM Lord shouting b*ll*cks when saluting German officers in a POW camp and when it was published it was replaced with balls which made no sense in the context of the story. Is there a 'b*ll*cks' filter embedded in the arrse inbox? If so, it is bizarre as I have seen both the F and C word used on other threads uncensored.

In response to your problem, you will not lose 11kgs in 2 weeks without very serious effort and (possibly) damaging yourself. Aim for a kilo (couple of pounds) a week. If you are not doing any training, then start running gradually, stopping if you need to, until you feel comfortable at the pace. CUT DOWN ON WHAT YOU EAT - without being silly about it of course.

5. Up untill the end of last year id been doing high intensity weight lifting for about 9 months so im assuming that could explain some of the excess weight but havent trained in ages except for recentley trying to get my fitness up but now I know what I need to do im ontop of it.

Oh im wanting to join the rifles... but then final decision would be after my BARBS....

6. What was your weight / height when it was measured?

7. A mate of mine was told he has to loose
    about 2 and a half stone a few weeks ago.
    He's getting on well and has lost almost a stone
    now from eating healthy excersing and running
    every morning. I was at the gym with him today too.

Just eat healthy and workout reguarly!

8. The only way you’ll realistically be able to lose 11 kilos in 14 days is to amputate a leg or something. There’s an awful lot of shite shot about weight loss, so let me give you a few figures to be going on with so that you can make a true estimate of what you want to achieve.

11 kilos equals 11,000 grammes.
    One gramme of fat is (roughly) equivalent to 10 calories.
    11,000 grammes equals (more or less) 110,000 calories.
    The average male needs about 2,500 calories per day.
    2,500 calories times 14 days equals 35,000 calories.

So all you have to do is not eat anything at all for a fortnight, then work off the remaining 75,00 calories during that time. See the little problem there?

Bugsy, ex-RAMC

MsG

9. If it's your BMI, my recruiter was ok with mine being over. I have a bit of lard on me, but i'm a pretty serious lifter, and i'm a pretty tall guy too, so it throws it out. But, google HIIT training, and do low weight, high rep training, get your metabolism going, and no need to say cut back on the snacks. Good luck, fatso!

10. Some of us are just creative about the word 'fuck', for example. The filters aren't that clever.

To the actual problem - be sensible. Harming yourself and losing any chance of making a decent stab of it is not worth getting in a couple of weeks (or months) earlier. Eat sensibly, exercise sensibly - concentrating on aerobic work - running, rowing etc. Build up gently and you should lose weight.

Disclaimer - I'm short and fat but sufficiently old and damaged to get away with it.

11. If you're female I can't see why they turned you away, they set a precadence a long time ago! (unless your Arrse is too small that is?)

12. I lost 9 stone in just under 20 minutes, I'm hoping she doesn't come back

13. I know im slightly overweight, but my recruiter never said anything about the weight, infact i was a couple of kg under the weight i thought i was, due to the scales at home being shit.