Bollocks - Is nothing sacred?

I beg to differ: Our post war motor industry was fat & happy on the profits it made from government contracts & to a large extent, saw dividends bonuses as more important than product development & innovation.
Look at the crap we were selling:
The 1962 650cc Triumph Bonneville was a bored out 1937 350cc design & the 1975 850cc Norton Commando used a bottom end intended for a 500cc engine.
The 1985 Mini & several other vehicles used the A series engine that originated in 1951 & it was still being produced in 1996.
Our shipyards were shit because the unions controlled every move & the work ethic was nonexistent.

Accountants & bloody unions are what f**ked our heavy industry.
Agree with some of that, disagree with other parts. My fault for not separating the shipbuilding being the best, from car m/c part in the post you quoted.
I had a mate who worked for Rover. He told me if I ever got one, to pick the 1400 engine rather than the 1600. On asking why he said the 1400 engine was made in Japan, no oil leakage, whereas the 1600 made here leaked oil. Or vice versa with engines, but our one wasn't the best
British bikes were being hammered by the Japanese on the race track. If irc at one time the Jap 250cc bikes could go faster than a 500cc Brit one.

I watched a documentary once about one of the last shipyards on the Clyde, Fairfields(?) They were in financial trouble, so called in people to make them more efficient. I can't remember all of the subjects, but one stuck out, the draughtsmen.
On drawing the plan view on the top deck where the lifeboats were, they drew them there, fair enough. They then drew them, dotted lines as they weren't actually there, on every deck all the way to the bottom! Same with portholes. Fine on the outside where they would be, but not on every bulkhead into the middle. Not only did they draw the stool the navigator would sit on, they drew the shadow of it ffs! They started to change their ways following the advice they'd paid for. However after a short time they started reverting to the old ways. The team warned them to stop or they'd leave. They didn't, the team left and down the Swanee the shipyard went.

As well as the unions management and workers have to take responsibility too. We've done it this way for xyz years, we're not going to change. They suffered the same fate as the shipyards.

Slight drift, but same principle. We gave the world football, rugby, cricket, golf, tennis(?) boxing under the Marquess of Queensberry rules, and what have we learned from that? Maybe it's a national trait we have. Think of something, pass it on then sit back as we're overtaken by others.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pull_through Tanks, planes & ships 40
old_bloke The NAAFI Bar 325
Carl von Clauswitz The NAAFI Bar 23