Bollocks - Is nothing sacred?

I liked this bit especially

Chief executive Simon Emeny said protecting the heritage of the site was "particularly important" to the deal.

I predict a large new development of expensive flats on the 'Fullersbury Estate' within five years of this going through.

Chief executive Simon Emeny said protecting the heritage of the site was "particularly important" to the deal.

I predict a large new development of expensive flats on the 'Fullersbury Estate' within five years of this going through.
Unfortunately I think that you are correct. My first thought on hearing this news was that production would be moved the the loss of the taste of Thames water which makes up most of the product. It is a valuable site and has very old buildings. Ideal for a block of flats overlooking the Thames - or the A4 is you can't afford the other side.

My first thought on hearing this news was that production would be moved the the loss of the taste of Thames water which makes up most of the product.
That's easily recreated, although negotiations for a share of the Ganges outflow might take some time.

which is quite Ironic that a Drink (Lager) that the Germans were specifically excluded from when it was discovered and was in fact Brewed to extend shelf life by The Germans for storage has such a rep. Even more Ironic that I can't stand lager, or that My Uncle was a "Drayman" at Spaten in Hamburg and my preffered tipple is an Alt ( Old) By either Rhenania or Spaten itself.
Ah Hannen Alt, that brings back memories of 'Gladbach and Duss.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think that you are correct. My first thought on hearing this news was that production would be moved the the loss of the taste of Thames water which makes up most of the product. It is a valuable site and has very old buildings. Ideal for a block of flats overlooking the Thames - or the A4 is you can't afford the other side.
It's a little unclear whether or not brewing will continue at the Chiswick site under its new owners or will go elsewhere.

A few years ago, Youngs' moved out of Wandsworth. The brewery has/is being redeveloped for housing, retail and business. To all intents and purposes, Youngs beer is now being produced by Charles Wells in Bedford.

The water used by Fullers will not come from the Thames (in the same way that Guinness doesn't use water from the Liffey). In common with nearly all large breweries, artesian wells will have been sunk on site to supply the brewing needs.

In the good old days (up to end of the 80s), the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment used to ride back to Knightsbridge from Pirbright at the end of Summer Camp. 250 horse in marching order, the whole regiment in No 2 dress mounted. We´d start around 07.00 coming into London on the A30. We´d stop at Fullers brewery for lunch. All cars and trucks vacated the premises to make room for the horses which were tied up while basically we went on the piss for two hours. The last hour and a half to Knightsbridge were interesting with those who couldn´t hold it, lagging themselves in the saddle.
Are there any photos of the moves, that must have been quite a site.

When in Munster when out on the town Alt was always my favourite tipple. Can't remember the brewery, does Jupilor sound right?

Ah Hannen Alt, that brings back memories of 'Gladbach and Duss.
And if you were a Sapper, it could bring back memories of Willich, because 21 Army Support Regt was there in the same little town as the Hannen Brauerei (sp.?)

And Herr Hannen was very fond of us Sappers because there was almost never any trouble in town ( we were the only unit there) and we had loads of equipment and men to support the very famous annual Willich Schutzenfest.
We built the tiered seating in the town square, provided Gennys and tower lighting where needed, and provided a Silent Drill squad of 30 men for their parade.
In return we got more beer tickets than you could drink in a week.
Quite a few of our guys married local girls.
It was a truly great posting for RE.

Probably, just a question of Emeny?

My local boozer had an annual cricket match with Fullers.
Richard Fuller is a top bloke, they have a lovely clubhouse and the hospitality was always spot on.
Great food laid on and a free bar that stayed open as long as you liked.

Probably going to happen. They couldn’t really expand the brewing business so becoming a pubco is their way forward. Maybe retain the Chiswick site for smaller batch stuff and the rest contracted out. I’m not a big fan of their beers (apart from the 1845) but they have been creating some interesting stuff over the last few years. The brand is strong, beer can be made anywhere (like Goose Island).

On a trip around the brewery I ended up behind the bar serving, I had a root around and at the back of a shelf, I found some dusty old bottles of some lethal stuff. I can't remember the name of it but it was something like "Directors Pride".
It took me at least three days to recover after that session.
I was told I narrowly avoided being barred from a pub that we stopped at on the way home for upsetting a whole table full of drinks.
I genuinly had no recollection of being in the pub or the incident.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pull_through Tanks, planes & ships 40
old_bloke The NAAFI Bar 325
Carl von Clauswitz The NAAFI Bar 23