BoJo is on his way back to Westminster

The lure of the gravy train is too much for Boris Johnson, and so the buffon of London has declared (to some degree) his desire to return to Parliament.

Boris Johnson to seek 2015 Commons return

Boris Johnson has ended months of speculation by saying he will "in all probability" seek to become an MP again at next year's general election.
The Conservative said he would also serve out the remainder of his term as London mayor, due to end in 2016.
Should Cameron be worried that the Grand Shagger himself is set to appear in the Tory Westminster machine again?
Will Labour/Lib Dems make political capital on BoJo breaking his promise not to stand as an MP while being London Mayor?
Does anyone care that the manic-haired one is coming back to mainstram politics?
Are the UK electorate gulible enough to be seduced by Johnson's perceived buffoonery?

Prime Minister David Cameron, who has previously said he would welcome a return to the Commons by Mr Johnson, called his decision "great news".
Labour accused Mr Johnson of breaking his promise to Londoners not to stand.
The mayor has been linked with a number of seats, including Uxbridge and South Ruislip, in London, but he said he did not have a particular target in mind at the moment.
Yeah Dave, we believe you! :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28673113

Personally I believe he's a cool character that plays the fool well, but I doubt he'll have enough clout amongst the blue rinse Brigade or the rabid right to actually replace Cameron, although I would be sweating for all the other Cabinet jobs post-GE should the Tories win again, or god forbid, form a coalition with Clegg or his successor.

No great surprise, Boris was always pre ordained to return to Westminster. At least the succession is secure, but not sure what May or Hammond will think.
After yesterday's resignation by Baroness Warsi it will be interesting to see what happens behind the scenes, I would like to be a fly on the wall in the numerous Indian Restaurants in the City over the next few months!

Can't wait!
At least it'll make the Parliament channel entertaining...

Will Labour/Lib Dems make political capital on BoJo breaking his promise not to stand as an MP while being London Mayor?
Labour can't say anything after all the have John Pentland up here who's a still a councilor despite being elected as an MSP!

Labour can't say anything after all the have John Pentland up here who's a still a councilor despite being elected as an MSP!
Mike 'Handy' Hancock, the ex-Lib Dem MP (now an independant MP) was a city councillor to the Portsmouth City Council for nearly 17 years whilst also being their MP.

I don't believe there's any rules that you can't be both. It's BoJo's promise that he wouldn't stand that will highlight his integrity

Mike 'Handy' Hancock, the ex-Lib Dem MP (now an independant MP) was a city councillor to the Portsmouth City Council for nearly 17 years whilst also being their MP.

I don't believe there's any rules that you can't be both. It's BoJo's promise that he wouldn't stand that will highlight his integrity
We all know politics is a changing feast, it will be countered with the 'in the best interest of the Party'. We are maneuvering and setting out the ORBATS for May 2015

All Parties have their issues at the moment, Labour in proving it has a credible leader and policies, the Lib Dems again over their leadership and also the litany of broken promises which will consign them to the Westminster creche for some years to come.
The Cons have a leadership issue once DC signals its time to move on. Theresa May has proved she has nerves of steel but can and has pissed off swathes of people not least the police. Hammond has sadly absolutely no charisma, but can push things through like the Accountant and change manager that he is.
Gove has been moved out of the front line, he could however lead, but has generated too many enemies across the LA and Educational sector and is not seen as a smiley nice engaging person.
Boris on the other hand is bright behind that shock of unruly hair, he has also not been tainted by Westminster politics and the Coalition for the last few years, and can get the vote behind him like he has shown in the past.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Boris on the other hand is bright behind that shock of unruly hair, he has also not been tainted by Westminster politics and the Coalition for the last few years, and can get the vote behind him like he has shown in the past.
Osbourne will be spitting out his cornflakes. He was the heir apparent to CMD, but Boris is beloved by the party faithful.

And I'd suspect BoJo might make the Conservatives more electable. Underneath that buffoon persona lurks a very sharp mind indeed.

Wordsmith

@pimpernel V-M's raised a point on another thread that may be his downfall for controlling the party

Follow my logic...

• If Boris isn't a buffoon then he's made a conscious decision to act like one.
  • It's worked so far in lesser-jobs like MoL.
  • If he aspires to high office then he has to either:
  • A: Be a buffoon on the international stage in high office where 'buffoon' often translates to 'cnut.'
  • B: Stop being a buffoon.
  • If A then he's doomed because the electorate will tire of someone who isn't a buffoon playing the buffoon whilst representing them. If B then a newly non-buffoon Boris will lack authenticity to people who quite like people to be like they appear to be. We hate chameleon politicians.
  • Under a or b he's doomed.
  • How clever is that?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/boris-the-mp.217376/#post-5903232
@Victorian_Major

@pimpernel V-M's raised a point on another thread that may be his downfall for controlling the party

Follow my logic...

• A: Be a buffoon on the international stage in high office where 'buffoon' often translates to 'cnut.'
  • If A then he's doomed because the electorate will tire of someone who isn't a buffoon playing the buffoon whilst representing them. If B then a newly non-buffoon Boris will lack authenticity to people who quite like people to be like they appear to be. We hate chameleon politicians.
  • How clever is that?

@Victorian_Major

Can't fault that logic but....

I suspect he's highly intelligent and bright enough to present the bumbling exterior. Cameron shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security. I will await the general election with interest.

Unless Cameron gets a clear win for the Tories he is toast anyway.

Osbourne will be spitting out his cornflakes. He was the heir apparent to CMD, but Boris is beloved by the party faithful.

And I'd suspect BoJo might make the Conservatives more electable. Underneath that buffoon persona lurks a very sharp mind indeed.

Wordsmith
Totally agree, and watch him build his power base as we approach the starting gun. Party Politics has a tendency in repeating mistakes made by others, could we be looking at a No 11 power struggle aka Shuggy Brown. If that happens and Dear God I pray it doesn't Boris could have to do an Occupation in contact!

Follow my logic...

• How clever is that?

@Victorian_Major
Totally logical, and historically correct.
But, he knows he has one bite at the power bun. Boris knows he is going to have to morph into a sharp credible, and brutal leader if he is to carry this off.
As Mayor he has built a power base in the City, which could cause George some headaches and has been in the orbit of the Global power brokers regarding City regulation and Olympics etc, so Boris is well able to come come out fighting.
The Con faithful are emotional, and unpredictable (Turnip Taliban!) and love Boris because of his persona, George is a steady pair of hands but just doesn't do it for the blue rinsers! There is also the voting system which thankfully doesn't have the skew bloc vote system.

E

EScotia

I'd move constituencies if I thought he was going to be my MP.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect he's highly intelligent and bright enough to present the bumbling exterior. Cameron shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security. I will await the general election with interest.
Bojo has the common touch - people can relate to him. People don't warm in the same way to Gove or Hammond although they are very capable ministers.

The other thing about BoJo - he will stand up in front of a non-handpicked audience that can at times be hostile or heckling and he'll give as good as he gets . (Listen to LBC's Mayor's questions every month). How many leading politicians dare to do that these days? They hide away with a carefully selected audience and soft questions.

Wordsmith

I like Bori because he is funny and also clever as fukk. I really want him to be PM for both those reasons. You need a sense of humour and after dull fukwittery in No 10 I'd like someone who has a brain the size of a planet

It is also good political tactics by CMD to allow him to stand now. As a PPC for the election, BoJo will have to sign up for the Conservative manifesto, as well as actively campaign on CMD's behalf. If he doesn't, and the Tories lose, he will not be able to duck the charge that he lost the party the chance to rule; if he does campaign, and they still lose, that failure will attached to him - not great if a clean skin is campaigning against him.

If the Tories win, CMD will remain as Party Leader, and BoJo has dipped out.

tl;dr: better inside the tent pissing in, than outside!

Latest Threads