BoJo Annoys God Botherers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. ******* religious extremists. Good work BoJo.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

"The adverts were booked on behalf of the Core Issues Trust whose leader, Mike Davidson, believes "homoerotic behaviour is sinful"."

That's the Royal Marines off the Christmas card list
  4. Of course that may also offend what is probably the biggest block of voters in London, the 'religion of peace' (you know - the ones who'll kill you if you disagree). They are dead against mano a mano botty-bashing because their sky pixie says so (although that doesn't seem to stop some of them buggering small boys).
  5. How many RoPers would have voted for BoJo over Red Ken anyway? And I can't imagine there's a significant bloc of previously pro-BoJo homophobes in cosmopolitan London. He hasn't lost much, not that it makes the advert any less moronic.
  6. A victory for common sense. Apparently the adverts claimed to offer a cure for homosexuality. If Big Bozza (as he is known to his mates) hadnt banned it, the trading standards would have had to prosecute them for false advertising anyway as we all know that being a homo is a lifestyle choice, not a sickness.
  7. Bouillabaisse

Since this is the Int Cell I shall try an intelligent answer -

electioneering by Boris, but an infringement of free speech. If these people believe they can cure homosexuality they should be free to advertise. As Blokeonabike says, someone should be free to sue them under the Trades descriptions Act, or something similar, because they're wrong.

No one banned those anti-god botherers who put those "There's probably no god" adverts up.
  8. No brainer, no-lose posturing from the incumbent. Also probably got in before his opponent by dint of a bigger budget.

9. Having loads of gay people on the telly doesn't bother me but do they have to act so camp? Admittedly I don't know that many gay blokes to compare them with but the couple I know well don't go round acting like swishy queens. Even worse than the fictional characters is the arts presenter on Channel 4 news. When I first saw him I honestly thought it was a pisstake he is that camp.

On thread, those posters were blatantly designed to controversial and offensive to gays. I wouldn't be surprised if they put this out as a stunt knowing it would get banned and so get more national attention than if they were just on a few London buses.
  10. It's isn't 'freedom' of speach though, if you're just going to be a cnut about it.
  11. I thought heterosexuality had virtuality been stamped out in the capital, has Torchwood put some of the public schoolboys who run the place off each other?
  12. From the story in the press it seems these adverts passed all the relevant rules and regs so the banning is purely political and is yet another example of double standards when the pro homosexual lobby can run adverts of the same nature on exactly the same medium yet these ones get banned.

Personally I don't care about someones sexual habits but if you are allowed to go around putting up big posters saying how proud you are to be XYor Z then surely the opposite view should be equally allowed to be aired?
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Mike Davidson was being interviewed on LBC this morning telling a slightly different story to the Wail. He said that he wasn't trying to cure homosexuality, but to promote a heterosexual life style. His group attract mainly Christian gays and he was claiming that 1/3 of the people that sign up with him go back to a heterosexual lifestyle.

Based on what I heard in the interview he didn't seem like a gay-basher but someone who believed that people were happier as heterosexuals and provided a support mechanism for bisexuals wanting to go back to being purely hetero.

There seems to be a bit of a "politically correct" knee jerk reaction going on.

14. Bouillabaisse

There's either freedom of speech or there isn't. At the moment there isn't. And I don't like the restrictions because I don't like the people or the politics of those making them. Some people need to recognise that 1984 is a novel, not an instruction manual.
  15. Public busses, public rules...

Adverts for the next Hollywood Block buster, fine. Stuff about religion and homosexuality, let's keep that outside the churches or other privately owned bill boards.