Boil in the bag rations

Serving in 83, still serving in 2021. The "rat packs" are still shit, and have changed again.
Up until last year, still packaged in a box. Now packaged in a shit brown bag, not unlike the bag US MREs were supplied in circa mid-80s

On the positive side - its easier to cram rats into odd parts of webbing, jacket, bergan. Its deffo an improvement being able to cram a boilie in the inside jacket pocket. But as we are no longer trying to cram a 24hr rat pack consisting mainly of tins into a kidney pouch or a not-very-large pack.... somewhat redundant.

On the negative side - the MOD is screwing us on the calories (I suspect on cost grounds). The claim is that each ratpack supplies 3500 cals. However, if you add up the calorific value of the individual meals, it comes to less than half that, averages 1300 cals. The remainder comes from sweeties, chocolate spread, and half a dozen powered energy drinks, each requiring 1/2l water.

Now back in the day, it was 1l per man per day. These days we get almost unlimited wate (well, at least jerrycan/section/day). Even so, most of the "drinks" get binned.

As for the meals... pure crap. "Chicken sausage and beans" contains maybe 2 cocktail sausages. By far the most common meal seems to be some sort of bean (not baked).

The first time I got a 24hr compo rat pack, it was like Xmas... this small cardboard box with a veritable feast of tins, stickies, sweeties. I actually liked compo, esp Babies Heads, and strawberry jam and cheese possessed. The new stuff? Nah. No white mars bar, no squashed fly biscuits, no babies heads, no bacon grill.

An its almost impossible to make a good airborne stew....

Serving in 83, still serving in 2021. The "rat packs" are still shit, and have changed again.
Up until last year, still packaged in a box. Now packaged in a shit brown bag, not unlike the bag US MREs were supplied in circa mid-80s

On the positive side - its easier to cram rats into odd parts of webbing, jacket, bergan. Its deffo an improvement being able to cram a boilie in the inside jacket pocket. But as we are no longer trying to cram a 24hr rat pack consisting mainly of tins into a kidney pouch or a not-very-large pack.... somewhat redundant.

On the negative side - the MOD is screwing us on the calories (I suspect on cost grounds). The claim is that each ratpack supplies 3500 cals. However, if you add up the calorific value of the individual meals, it comes to less than half that, averages 1300 cals. The remainder comes from sweeties, chocolate spread, and half a dozen powered energy drinks, each requiring 1/2l water.

Now back in the day, it was 1l per man per day. These days we get almost unlimited wate (well, at least jerrycan/section/day). Even so, most of the "drinks" get binned.

As for the meals... pure crap. "Chicken sausage and beans" contains maybe 2 cocktail sausages. By far the most common meal seems to be some sort of bean (not baked).

The first time I got a 24hr compo rat pack, it was like Xmas... this small cardboard box with a veritable feast of tins, stickies, sweeties. I actually liked compo, esp Babies Heads, and strawberry jam and cheese possessed. The new stuff? Nah. No white mars bar, no squashed fly biscuits, no babies heads, no bacon grill.

Tinned chicken curry

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The tin of fruit cocktail that may or may not have a cherry in it.

Which, if you had a suitable victim, could be eaten hot. You just had to persuade them to read the bit of paper in the rat pack that to pierce tins and heat in water.
And remind them that the fruit cocktail was in a tin.
So, it should be heated, as described.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Either you’re an officer about to retire, CDS or a Cadet Instructor.

Either way your opinion on modern ORP would seem to be irrelevant?

Those are odd comments. I was retired 9 years ago after 38 years.

If you haven't put the time in, how can you be qualified to compare the changing rations? For me, the rations of the mid-70s were the best. Not only filling and tasty with reasonable variety (other than the exercise where we had chicken supreme every meal for a week) but were ideally suited to supplementing with acquired fresh rations. Purloin an egg and a couple of slices of bread and you've got a bacon and egg sarnie. Acquire a spud and you've got chips.

The only downside was that the enemy always attacked just after you'd opened the tins.

None of the above. Given I still have to eat the blessed things on scheme, my opinion is as valid as any one else who is still serving and not a cushy hq base rat with central feeding.

The tin of fruit cocktail that may or may not have a cherry in it.

Which, if you had a suitable victim, could be eaten hot. You just had to persuade them to read the bit of paper in the rat pack that to pierce tins and heat in water.
And remind them that the fruit cocktail was in a tin.
So, it should be heated, as described.

Better method
Large dent in one side of tin. - "works like your mum's pressure cooker"
Place un-pierced tin in water to heat
Forget to tell them to point tin in safe direction when piercing with tin open, to avoid the spray of superheated liquid

Boxy

GCM
Better method
Large dent in one side of tin. - "works like your mum's pressure cooker"
Place un-pierced tin in water to heat
Forget to tell them to point tin in safe direction when piercing with tin open, to avoid the spray of superheated liquid
Especially the stewing steak…

Slime

LE

Latest Threads