Boil in the bag rations

I finally waved goodbye to my green suit in 1995 and stuck my buckshee Bergan in a cupboard. I emptied the cupboard today and can confirm that the aforesaid piece of kit is dusty yet trusty, however, in a side pocket, still in its unopened protective over-pack, is a silver boil-in-the-bag 'FRUIT DUMPLINGS in BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE' which still feel nicely squishy in the bag.

Now, in 1980 (ish) on exercise on Salisbury Plain, I ate a tin of Compo Chicken Supreme that was date marked 1955, so possible the chicken got supremed even before my dad got jiggy with my mum, and I did not die horribly.
Would it be considered stomach-pump roulette to scoff those dumplings, I mean, it's not as if it is Possessed Cheese?

Image322.jpg
Image321.jpg

Last edited:
It'll be fine.
Seriously, as its vac packed it'll stay good indefinitely.

Ignore that daft fecker in the corner, you see, the sad twat in purple, droopy moustache, faint smell of rotten eggs...

I finally waved goodbye to my green suit in 1995 and stuck my buckshee Bergan in a cupboard. I emptied the cupboard today and can confirm that the aforesaid piece of kit is dusty yet trusty, however, in a side pocket, still in its unopened protective over-pack, is a silver boil-in-the-bag 'FRUIT DUMPLINGS in BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE' which still feel nicely squishy in the bag.

Now, in 1980 (ish) on exercise on Salisbury Plain, I ate a tin of Comp Chicken Supreme that was date marked 1955, so possible the chicken got supremed even before my dad got jiggy with my mum, and I did not die horribly.
Would it be considered stomach-pump roulette to scoff those dumplings, I mean, it's not as if it is Possessed Cheese?

View attachment 586366View attachment 586367
What's the worst that could happen?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Ewwww...... why would you want to?
Feed it to someone's kids if you can't bear to waste it!

I can't see a BBE or Use By date on the packaging so it should be good forever.

Just be wary that it's unclear whether it's UK or EEC. UK would be OK but EEC is poisonous since we left Europe.

Probably be fine. That said i wouldn’t eat that item even when in date. ******* rank. Corn beef hash on the other hand…..

Get it in yer guts.

I once ate 10 of those bad boys on the bounce for a bet. Not the most sensible thing I’ve ever done I must admit.

If your guts are that sensitive that you have to ask, instead of just smashing it down cold after a night on the piss, your man card is already forfeit and you'll find your frilly knickers in your wife's grundies drawer.

It would need to be something pretty bloody exceptional to take a punt and from my limited experience of boil-in-the bag rations, the benefit to risk equation is very heavily weighted in favour of the latter. I found that the dessert options were mouth-puckeringly and inedibly sweet and promised to shock most systems into instant type 2 diabetes.

Mind you, very rich Japanese are willing to pay a fortune to dine on Fugu fish, which are absolutely deadly to eat unless prepared by expert chefs who are specially trained in its preparation.

At least, in this case, the diner earns special bragging rights. The same cannot be claimed for boil-in-the-bag fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce.

It would need to be something pretty bloody exceptional to take a punt and from my limited experience of boil-in-the bag rations, the benefit to risk equation is very heavily weighted in favour of the latter. I found that the dessert options were mouth-puckeringly and inedibly sweet and promised to shock most systems into instant type 2 diabetes.

Mind you, very rich Japanese are willing to pay a fortune to dine on Fugu fish, which are absolutely deadly to eat unless prepared by expert chefs who are specially trained in its preparation.

At least, in this case, the diner earns special bragging rights. The same cannot be claimed for boil-in-the-bag fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce.
Fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce.
We had a weird twat that loved them, its a he would scoff, I always swapped out mine for his corned beef hash or bacon and beans.

******* minging.

The brekkys, on the other hand, were excellent.

I had/have an affinity for chicken paste and biscuits brown. It's shameful but I can't seem to shake the glorious smell of cat food and cardboard from my memory.

Fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce.
We had a weird twat that loved them, its a he would scoff, I always swapped out mine for his corned beef hash or bacon and beans.
I miss compo tinned sausages... tins of oatmeal blocks... tins of boiled sweets and tiffin bars... toothpaste-type tubes of condensed milk and strawberry jam.... and, dare I say, cheese possessed (sigh)

Get it in yer guts.

I once ate 10 of those bad boys on the bounce for a bet. Not the most sensible thing I’ve ever done I must admit.
were they easily old enough to vote?

Latest Threads