Boil-in bag rat packs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by pegasusranger, Mar 23, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bought a couple of the boil-in-bag 24 hour rat packs from an army surplus place for a couple of weekend treks.  Anyone know the shelf life of these?  Bags are stamped 97/98 ish, still edible?

2. Well, if they're genuine army issue, they'll be "edible" for at least another 170+ years!!! ;D ;) ;D

As for a serious answer, I don't have one!..... ???

3. Last bloody ages, i've had ones that are dated 5 years ago, and not had any problems, although periodically issue ones with 'cheese removed' stamped all over them, so i guess one should avoid the cheese!!

4. They arent edible from the moment the bag is sealed!

Have you *seen* the cheese? Its meant to be Primula, but its just like a tin of yellow fat with some darker yellow grease floating round it. Be glad it's been removed!

Biscuits brown anyone.......? A mouse made its home in my det locker and the foolish thing nibbled its way into a packet of them in my scoff box. Mind you, it also ate half a toilet roll, which is probably a lot tastier...  ;D

5. They are a hell of a lot more edible than the dehydrated sh1te i was issued with last week!  

6. Mine don't have "cheese possesed" in them,  shame as I had some holes in the plaster that needed doing at some point!

7. Yeah, have recently started getting dehydrated things, taste pretty much like cardboard, and require you to carry about a litre of water per meal, which you then cant use for washing, drinking etc.......rant rave

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

We worked on 10 years, not that they lasted that long, bit like NBC suite shelf lifes, the RLC Cat punters extend them depending how short of rats  they are!

Do not eat the cheese!- or the lobster.

9. ;D

Thanks all!

10. AnotherRadop, I'm concerned about the mouse, is it still alive after eating biscuits brown?
    If so, surely its some sort of mutant.

11. I haven't seen any evidence of it since!  Though we were moving a cam net the other day and a big cracker ran out from under it, definately a mouse but it was a big belter! Probably because it cant digest the half pack of the biscuits it ate, they must be stuck in its gut!

12. Maybe you've unwittingly created a breed of Supermice, able to devour an entire pack of Biscuits Brown, without the need of meat paste or 'primula' cheese.
    Or maybe its just in desperate need of a sh!t that would sink the Ark Royal.

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Thank God, nothing the Iraqis have will!

14. I can assure you i have NEVER been nibbled by a mouse.

15. That's because your Pen 15  wouldn't fit into anything else..