Bogus E-mail?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Joker, Dec 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have received an E-mail purporting to be from a friend of mine, who I have never heard of explaining how they are safe and sound in Sri Lanka after the disaster and are trying to help as best they can.

The E-mail goes on to detail the devastation and how there is much looting etc etc.

It then comes to the crunch and says that they have set up an account with first direct to provide people a place to make donations from "£50 to a fiver"

It is from a Hotmail address and so does not seem to get pinged by Junk Mail filters. It was from a Mark Sharland.

I don't know this fella, or the account holder a Esme Clarke. Just interested to see if anyone else had received a similar E-mail and thus can confirm that this is a sick F$ck jumping on the band wagon of a disaster or that I have had a sudden stroke of amnesia.

MODS move this if needs be as I had no idea where to post it.

2. 307

307 War Hero

Scrap that mate sounds dodgier than a Del boy special. It's someone trying to make some money, fi you want to donate, do it through official channels. Reply to him saying you've already made a donation through a charity and then just use some chit chat tot ry & trip him up, then report himt o hotmail and have his account removed if he turns out a falsey.
  3. Already done fella. More just a warning to others. Plus if others have, I'll get a couple of mates in the banking world to have a look at the account and see whether it is genuine.

4. Looks like another variant of the Nigerian emails.
    If bogus, I hope the sender dies slowly from MRSA :evil:
  5. Never reply to spam - all you're doing is confirming that a real person exists at that email address and you'll get plagued with more crap from other spam senders and phishing (spoof) web criminals.
  6. There's some rotten people out there, only thinking of themselves at a time like this. But, unfortunately, quite a few idiots will reply to this sort of crap and send their bank details.
  7. As a matter of interest, does anyone know of an email address for a UK Police department which deals with e-crime? Whilst most scams are run from overseas, the UK cops should be interested in anything that can be traced to their turf.
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You could try the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit (, failing that your local fraud unit might give it a go.
  9. thank santa I'm too thick to know my own sortcode!