Bogs

Is the outlet height above floor level pretty much standard on toilet pans? Got a flexible coupling but don’t want to push it too much.

Need a new pan as in taking rotten plaster off the wall I discovered the previous genius had not bothered cementing the top course of bricks in place. A 7’ drop of a house brick only partially cushioned by my forehead onto a ceramic cistern of a close coupled unit was only ever going to end one way.

TIA

Is the outlet height above floor level pretty much standard on toilet pans? Got a flexible coupling but don’t want to push it too much.

Need a new pan as in taking rotten plaster off the wall I discovered the previous genius had not bothered cementing the top course of bricks in place. A 7’ drop of a house brick only partially cushioned by my forehead onto a ceramic cistern of a close coupled unit was only ever going to end one way.

TIA
Why do you need/are asking about, a new toilet pan . . . when the 7ft drop of a house brick (only ?!), "smashed" the close-coupled cistern ?!

Why do you need/are asking about, a new toilet pan . . . when the 7ft drop of a house brick (only ?!), "smashed" the close-coupled cistern ?!
because the cistern is part of an old bog that is a weird design and I can’t find a replacement. A new complete set up is cheaper than the closest I’ve found.

And she who doesn’t have to fit the ******* thing wants a new one anyway.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They're all pretty similar if replacing one that isn't seriously old - there are straight and angled variants though, make sure it's like-for-like
you could say the height is 'bog standard'

They are pretty much standard height, but offer the new pan up, and there are many different offset types available from places like Screwfix which can be a little limited or BES which has a better selection.

I always renew the plastic pan connector, 9 out of 10 always leak, if you try to reuse them.

because the cistern is part of an old bog that is a weird design and I can’t find a replacement. A new complete set up is cheaper than the closest I’ve found.

And she who doesn’t have to fit the ******* thing wants a new one anyway.
You may find your local merchants open under essentials…. A throne comes in many sizes (see elvis) choose wisely its her final choice on where she sits...

Cheers all. Yep, new connector every time, ditto flex inlet hose.

£10 -v- an afternoon of swearing. Do the math.

Oops

War Hero
Ahhhh, now I understand.

When you wrote a while back the
'New roster' started on April 1st ...........

Ps.
I installed an en suite mainly for P*Swmbo.
"We'll have one of those loos that hang on the wall, they're easier to mop under......."

Its as comfortable as s(h)itting on a milk crate..
I learned a valuable lesson,the hard way.
However your more 'mainstream' DIY places don't appreciate scruffy oiks like me backing towards the porcelain displays for some strange reason!

* Potential

Imago

Old-Salt
A bit of future-proofing; check that the height of the seat enables the thigh of any potential user to be parallel to the floor when seated, with no chance of bum lower than knees. This will then obviate need for OT height-raising contraption in event of hip replacement.

Oops

War Hero
A bit of future-proofing; check that the height of the seat enables the thigh of any potential user to be parallel to the floor when seated, with no chance of bum lower than knees. This will then obviate need for OT height-raising contraption in event of hip replacement.
I've actually bought one to improve the comfort of the 'crate'.
It's a glimpse into the future...it's not all bad.

Yes, the outlet height is standard.
Various seat heights are available. The overall height is independent of the outlet height. Only the drop varies.
I personally prefer the "comfort height" variant being long legged.
1585745582059.png

ETA: standard outlet height is IIRC 190mm from the floor to the centre of the outlet.

SWMBO is an occupational therapist.

Imago

Old-Salt
Excellent info.
Those 'standard height' modern things are a nightmare when you are post-op on sticks, glad of a wee outing to friends' houses - and then discover you can't use the facilities at that point!

Yes, the outlet height is standard.
Various seat heights are available. The overall height is independent of the outlet height. Only the drop varies.
View attachment 461660
ETA: standard outlet height is IIRC 190mm from the floor to the centre of the outlet.

Wrong!

And right.

I've installed units from the ME, Europe and UK. IME, outlet can vary from 160-200mm centre, although 180 is about average.

Do a fine selection of flexible, offset and everything in between connectors. Pay the extra and buy McAlpine.

Wrong!

And right.

I've installed units from the ME, Europe and UK. IME, outlet can vary from 160-200mm centre, although 180 is about average.

Do a fine selection of flexible, offset and everything in between connectors. Pay the extra and buy McAlpine.
MacAlpine is indeed the fitting of choice, one of the few Scottish companies that really do look after their 3x Chinese factories employees really well

As a long time plumber, I used to carry at least half a dozen different types on the van to get me out of trouble, a luxury for the average DIYer, but a photo is always a help.

The main problem with the flexi- connectors, is they are comparatively long, sometimes a short extension and a suitable connector do the job better.

@Toastie Is it true that left hand seated sky gods have sheep’s wool covers on their left hand toilet seats?

Latest Threads