Boer....I'm not sure what to call it...

Does he leave his family in a 'concentration camp' for added realism?

Different continent, different war, but a book called Confederates in the Attic gives a good insight into the mindset of the 'hardcore' re-enactor.

Met a proper Boer family in 92 at Mana pools. Family of about 12 , two brothers and dads mit beards , in fact dressed like the chaps in the picture but scruffier. Two wives , dressed in calico dresses with bonnets and 8 kids. Drove up in two shagged out land rover Mk 1s. Remember they did not have a cooler but a couple of canvas bags full of water hanging on the wing mirrors . Slept under a canvas tarp fixed to the side of the landies

Cooking was on a plow shear and in a potjie. Mainly meat with a side dish of meat and some meat to follow.

Me and my mate were laughing our heads off , hearing the older of the two brothers laying into his mrs , as he could not understand that his " Boy, he is not my boy , he eats no meat, what kind of man is that? Look we have meat, and sausage but he eats fruit. What kind of son have you given me woman? "

ugly

LE
Such a great reenactor that he wears black modern dickies safety boots!
boer walt.jpg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He's from Bloem.
Now there's a surprise.

D

Deleted 20555

Oh stop complaining - bit of hunting, Martini Henry, braai and witblitz...I intend to make enquiries.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
They shoot Rooieks.

I might not be much safer either.
:)

ugly

LE
Oh stop complaining - bit of hunting, Martini Henry, braai and witblitz...I intend to make enquiries.
You would be a bit modern with a Martini, I expect they didn't have many before the first Boer War as OVS had some delivered from Birmingham but there weren't many in farmers hands. Nice to see they are using muzzle loaders!

Latest Threads