Boeings new spy plane prototype

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by seaweed, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

2. Price tag?

3. No relation to Ray Charles, is it?

4. combination of a scaled down B2 airframe and a cruise missile/tomahawk power pack.

Don't think we could afford it, not once the depths of the Liarbour debt are uncovered anyway.

5. I thought we were still on with Taranus

6. Hasn't this thing already been flying? As above it looks like a scaled down version of the B2 and a scaled UP version of the spyplane already on test in afgan?

7. It looks far closer to the Horten brothers earlier work
    Horten IX

[​IMG]

8. I saw them on the telly last week on "Hitlers secret WW2 weapons guaranteed to worry your Granny in colour" or somesuch.They were well ahead of their time weren't they.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I think the Hortens morphed into Northrop's post-war B35 & YB49 the first had pusher props, the second had jet engines.

B35:
    [​IMG]

YB49:
    [​IMG]

Sorry about poor scan/pic quality.

10. Are you keeping that book so you can tick it off when you see one?

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

!!!!!!!!!! But I did once see the Armstrong Whitworth AW52 flying wing when it flew over my house.

12. When the Yanks got to where the NATO School in Oberammergau now sits they nearly shat themselves when they found an underground aircraft factory that was producing the ME 262 ,they also found a research and development building that was full of new design projects and many of these were of flying wing types,try googling,the internets full of details.

Attached Files:

13. On the theme of what the Germans were up to, I found this book most informative. It is full of details of events leading up to and after the end of WW2 and some of the tricks Fritz had in store for the allies. I was able to obtain a copy from my local library.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184529727X/?tag=armrumser-21

14. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Was about to say; it's hardly new.