Boeing offer advanced FA-18E/F as interim fighter until JSF is ready.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spike7451, Jul 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Wonder if they've seen that the JSF is a white elephant & decided to cash in by offering a cheaper alternative,considering we have RAF & RN pilots flying off US Navy carriers,it'd make a lot of sense...

Aero India: Boeing's advanced Super Hornet upgrade options - YouTube

1009596_688745947819307_1465038809_o.jpg

2. Unless they can come up with a cheap way to put a catapult on the carrier its not happening

• Like Like x 1
  3. But if we were to purchase an airframe that BAE had no financial stake in then the cost of refitting the carrier with cats would be £50 billion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Time to dust off the navalised typhoon folder again.

5. Now that would be a nice option for the RCAF, a certain amount of stealth, a decent range, and we could buy more of them.

6. Please make this stop.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Two years ago, as a candidate (rejected) for the Indian Navy's requirements. Old news, no good to us.

8. IIRC, the billion pound quote occurred because electromagnetic catapults were proposed. At the time, no other carrier used this technology. The Americans and French all used steam catapults but their carriers are nuclear powered and so replete with steam.

Does anybody know why steam catapults were rejected? I believe space was set aside for a steam generator during design. When will the US Navy put to sea with one of these electro-catties?

9. Two years after the first successful launch of a navalised flying pig.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I thought it was partly due to them wanting new tech and not having the same boiler pressures to create said steam due to not using nuc plants in our ships and sticking to those wonky turbine genny combinations causing issues in the t45.

they could probably come up with an electric motor version now if they really really wanted to or rocket assisted take off.

11. Gerald R Ford class will have EMALS:

Growler launches from EMALS catapult - The DEW Line

We didn't go for steam because EMALS was on the horizon and we were always going for the F-35B anyhoo. The ability to convert to cat and trap was in the requirement but wasn't specked. Or some such stuff, one of your chaps will be along shortly to correct me :)

12. I think I may have mentioned this before, but can't recall getting an answer. What about a hydraulic cat?

13. TD published this FOI:

CVF Aircraft Launch and Recovery Equipment FOI | Think Defence

Forgot to say read the comments, Not a Boffin has posted much the same on here as well.

14. Apparently there's a feasibility study currently underway between Boeing and the MoD to see if it would be cheaper to:

Retrofit magnetic catapults to the new (not fitted for or with) carriers for non-STOVL F18s

Retrofit lift fans to un-retrofitted, not fitted for or with FA18s

Upgrade the office furniture, change the MoD logo and give themselves a 60% pay increase

It's a no-brainer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

So, Bring me up to speed on this one - We built two aircraft carriers which have no known method of actually launching aircraft from the flat bit on the top? Well, I suppose we got what he asked for. We got aircraft carriers. Pity all then can do is carry them.

• Like Like x 2