Bodyweight Strenght Routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jboyd88, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Some of you may have seen my previous post about me being injured. Basically I have selection for 4 Para Mid-August then Cadre in September and I have an injured knee and what I suspect to be shin splints so for this month I am staying off my feet and only doing upper body exercises.

I assumed that body weight exercises may be best for preparing for the armed forces and it would mean no matter where I was I wouldn't have an excuse not to work out.

I am hoping you guys might be able to give me a few tips on what I'm doing. There is a kids park right where I live so I exercise there.

[/b]Mourning: Stretch my shins etc to try and aid recovery and do 20-40 Press ups & 20 dips before my shower
    Afternoon: Normally try and squeeze out a few random sets of press ups when ever I find the opportunity. I also use a 'Powerball' to try and improve my grip/forearm strength.
    Late evening: Go to the park when I do rope climbs, dips, pull ups monkey bars :) and other strange variations of upper body exercises.
    Night: 10 - 15 Crunches before bed

I do this almost every day leaving some days for rest days when my muscles are sore after waking up although I still do the press ups and dips before my shower on the rest days because I promised myself I would do it everyday for the rest of the month.

What do you think of my workout? I'm pretty slim so sit ups aren't that much of a challenge but maybe I should add more ab work outs?

Am I doing too much in one day? I pretty much do every up body exercise I can think of while at the park, should I split the days into groups etc Back-Biceps one day, tri's-shoulders-abs another? or is it fine just blasting my upper body everyday allowing for rest days?

Is there any exercise I should concentrate on more than any other? Or am I missing any upper body work outs I should be doing?

2. Have you had a look at stew smith on He has some great body weight upper body workouts.
    Don't forget to rest! You body needs a chance to repair and grow so you should have days of doing no upper body exercise.
  3. press ups, sit ups and running is all ya need, try putting weights in a bag then going for walks while your recovering, awesome for gaining strength in the back and legs
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

STOPPPPPPP...and step away from the keyboard before you do someone an injury. Walking with weight whilst trying to recover from a knee injury and shin splints is just setting yourself up for a fall.

To the OP - Upper body work is important for P Coy to ensure you are capable of battle PT, pressups awarded as "minor sanctions" etc, and to get yourself strong enough to carry your kit. That said, P coy is about cardiovascular fitness and stamina, not rope climbing or regains.

Speak to a good physio or physical training instructor before you go mad with any form of training programme after injury. You best bet is likely to be water based - swimming or running in he pool. It looks daft, but enables you to do CV exercise whilst protecting your joints.