Bodycare UK ban poppies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ding ding!!! who has got the keys ???

• Like Like x 1
  2. I cant say that I will boycot their brand name as I never buy their stuff anyway. Tossers.

3. I'll give it a couple of hours before the ban is withdrawn due to an "administertive error" or some such phrase. :roll:

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Almost identical wording to that which Jon Snow used a couple of years ago.

It's a blanket ban, what's the problem?

5. Am i living in the dark ages?

Who the f...k are these people?

Its a free country, or so I thought, religious and belief views are free to be expressed, or so said the Law Lords yesterday.

6. A spokesman for Bodycare’s parent company, GR and MM Blackledge, said: "Employees are only allowed to wear their uniform, and charitable pins would not be considered part of the uniform.”

The spokesman said the company did not differentiate between charities, having decided to ban all wristbands and charity emblems.

It is more than a charity emblem it is an act of Rememberance

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's all charity wristbands and symbols apparently. More passengers for the bus I guess.....

8. its akin to a belief and that expression can't be withheld by employers.

9. I can see both sides of this argument and I still think thye are a bunch of CNUTS.
    As someone else has said, I dont use thier products but if I did, I wouldnt now.

No disrespect intended to other charities, but I think plastic bands look stupid and unprofessional. But the poppy is surely a special case and is a national sign of respect and remembrance.

10. If you're talking about the Human Rights Act, Article 10 (Freedom of Expression) - this only applies to the Government, not to private sector employers. As for employment law, even with the deification of Green beliefs recently, this only applies to recruitment & dismissal, not to wear in / on uniform. Hence all the fuss about BA and crosses etc (backed down because of adverse publicity, not because the ban was illegal.)

Not to say I think it is right, just that it's not illegal.

11. am i to late or has the bus left? :)

12. It's the bit about not differentiating between charities and a blanket ban that annoys me. I know we're nearly all biased here, but surely as a symbol of Remembrance, the poppy is something different altogether?

Who's got the POL card for the bus?

13. Never heard of them and Wigan is too bloody far away for me to make my mark on, however, just think how wonderful it would be if every Poppy Seller for miles around turned up on Saturday and stood outside their shops a-rattling their tins!

14. It does appear a bit nit picking, but where do they stop? Basically it's their ball so they make the rules of the game.
    Incidentally I wonder what percentage of wearers do so as an act of rememberance rather than the "November badge".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.