body fat

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by hoof, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, new to site and wanted to ask a question. Im due to go to selection in just over a week, but im worried about being deferred due to my body fat and weight. Im 6ft 5in weigh 15stone and have 20% body fat. Any feedback will be gratefully recived.

2. hey, just go into google or that and type in BMI index and type ur weight / heigh / build in tells you if you are over weight :)
    i was 6ft 1inch, and the maximum weight for me was 15stone

3. 15st is very light for 6'5" so 20% seems very high. I wouldn't worry too much about those calculaters. My wife is skin and bones but according to three separate calculaters she has a higher body fat than me and I'm 'carrying a bit'. Is body fat percentage a prerequisite? Otherwise as long as you are fit and agile I can't see a problem.

4. According to the BMI calculator 6'5" and 15 stone = BMI 24.5, which is at the top end of "ideal" (18.5 to 24.9). When I checked the "body fat" site, it indicated that healthy women have a body fat percentage of around 25, but for men it's under 10. But, anyway, it sounds as if the poster's weight is not a problem.

All the threads on here seem to concentrate on "fitness" ..... e.g. run times and press-ups.

Won't the height be a problem, if he has to fit in an AFV? Or does one tend to be 6 inches shorter after basic training, anyway?

Edit: I've just noticed this is in OTC + ACF. Body fat percentage doesn't seem to apply when one is under 20 years old!

5. cheers lads, feel bit better about it now. Just didnt want to get down to selection and get deferred for something so stupid. This is my only chance really as im 31. cant afford any hold ups

6. If you're trying to get in the ACF, you'd better be quick!

7. Im going for royal artillery, either as90 gunner, or uav operator. Not sure what one yet, but i need to make up my mind.