Body Fat Percentage

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gogledd, Aug 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi People
    This question might of already been asked - if so i beg forgiveness.
    Is there an upper limit on Body Fat Percentage for when doing the medical at preselection - my BFP is at about 30% - but I have no problem doing the required PT. Just concerned that I might be told no due to a technicality.
    Asking now - before I go just incase I have to take exercise to a whole new level of pain
    Cheers folks

2. Blimey, that sounds like a lot. Are you sure? 30% is officially well over 'obese'. Just think of how fast you could go if you werent such a fat git. You ought to be well under 20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

Incidentally, 'pain' (or high intensity training) is not the best way to lose fat. You need to do aerobic (conversational pace) exercise for long durations together with a balanced diet that provides you with less energy than you require for your level of output at a ratio than can be sustained (ie no more than a couple of pounds per week).

3. Thats true so try going for a long but slow jog/run.

4. ...better make the lots of long slow jogs/runs!

What's your 1.5 time?

5. Personally I believe that High intensity exercise Is just as effective as the low intensity stuff for burning calories it just works in a different way, the only proviso is that the high intensity stuff can only be done a couple of times a week - best to do both types of workout I think.

6. You need to be between 18-27 BMI for a bloke, if your over they will check your body fat aswell, it sounds too high to me, but Im not a medic, so best off speaking to the ACIO and ask them if they can findout from the med sister at ADSC.

edited to say that i believe that if your BMI was over 28 for a bloke your body fat has to be under 20.

7. Low intensity exercise and weight training (bizzarly) will burn body fat most effectively although will push up your BMI if you bulk up too much.

And as has been said 8 million times if you go for high intensity exercise when you are over weight you get shin splints and risk other injuries.

8. 30% is way too high, the average in the population for 16-30yr olds is 12%.
    But for an athlete it would average at about 6%. :wink:

9. Although I do agree that in this particular case it is best to avoid the high intensity stuff - at least till fitness is up and bodyweight is down.

10. At selection my body fat was 29% and my BMI 24. This was no problem at all - there were other girls there with high 20s body fat too, who were deemed as ok. I could be wrong but I'm under the impression that women do carry more fat naturally but surely not more than double?

Am I a fatty? (although I do believe a small reserve tank is a good thing!!!)

11. Ooh, just looked into this and yes women do carry a huge amount more fat than men! Between 24 and 31% is classed as healthy for women aged upto 29, however 20% is the maximum healthy level for the same aged bloke, going down to 6%!!!

Well, you learn something new everyday!

12. I agree with the recomendation to contact your AFCO/ACIO having spent some time as a recruiter. As soon as someone walked into the office you carry out a rough filter to ensure they meet certain requirements before taking the application any further. Anyone who had questionable BMI we would take their hight and weight and enter the info on the computer. If they were above a certain BMI the application would effectively be blocked stopping us from sending them to recruit selection centre. we normally advised them to speak to their GP as we wern't allowed to say people were overweight. The BMI is not a great indicatior of fitness as it dosnt account for muscle mass we and we struggled to recruit some people who were not carrying an once of fat but were muscular. This was about 6 years ago.

13. Nope, you're mistaken; and this is why:

When you work within your aerobic zone (ie below anaerobic theshold), your body uses fat as its principle fuel source; ie, about 2/3 of its needs. The other 1/3 comes from carbohydrate sources.

When you work anaerobically (ie high intensity), that ratio is reversed (approx) and your body sources its fuel from 2/3 carbs and about 1/3 fat.

Now, although I grant you that at higher intensity you actually consume a deal more energy in the short term (ie the duration of the session), the main problems with high intensity work and fat loss are these:

(1) In real terms, you actually do burn more fat when aerobic for any given duration.

(2) More importantly, you only have very limited supplies of carbohydrate sourced energy available (ie your body cannot store and process it as well as it does fat) and you will run out of energy and have to stop exercising long before you would when aerobic. This has a number of effects, firstly it means your session is shorter and so you burn less fat overall and, more importantly, it's not much fun and decreases the likelihood of you wanting to train again anytime soon.

Incidentally, the best way to burn fat is to exercise at low intensity for ultra long durations whilst maintaining hydration and eating carbohydrate based food to maintain your carbs whilst predominantly burning off your fat stores. 'They' reckon that, if sleep was not required (which it is) a suitably motivated individual of average build could carry on like this without stopping for about 2 weeks before he stripped his body clean of fat (although his carb diet would have to supplimented with other essential nutrients etc).

Professional and top amateur cyclists spend much of the off-season maintaining their core fitness and their low fat physiques by doing just this; hours and hours everyday at a remarkably slow pace (65-75% of mhr) whilst eating lots of carb drinks etc to keep them going and avoiding what cyclists call 'the bonk'.

14. By asking that hope you aren suggesting I am a fat cnut because I would not be amused.

9:30-9:00

Why?

15. No, not you; Gogledd.

Mind you, 9.5 mins? That is a bit on the sluggish side. C'mon, admit it, you've never fully recovered from letting yourself go a bit last Christmas have you, Chunky. :)