body armour

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bigbird67, Mar 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question

My daughter is doing a debate thing at school and has chosen the old chestnut...soldiers v footballers. Can anyone tell me how much weight the average Joe Soldier carries out on patrol in the sandpit, everything included? Bang stick, fluids...the lot!

Thanks in advance for sensible answers!

For the 'others' **** off I'm not posting pics of any part of her!
  2. She's not the one in your avatar is she?;-)
  3. Sorry how does that debate work?
  4. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Anywhere between 60 - 75Ib depending on job/wpn system etc. Hope this helps.
  5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Kids don't do imperial anymore!

Sent from my X10i, probably from the loo, using Tapatalk.
  6. thank you....tenbloodyletterthing!
  7. I'm pretty sure it's more than that, especially if you've got the blues....
  8. A debate about under paid,under resourced,unloved tommies versus gay,overpaid,drug abusing,kiddie fiddlers?
    No contest.
  9. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

145Ib, no way !!!!!
  10. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

If people are carrying that much weight on a routine patrol that is a failure of the CoC and resup chain, there is no way you need to go on patrol with 18 mags FFS.

Bullets, water and IPE does not amount to 145Ib.
  11. Ladders. Special radios. Influence items. Night sights. LASM etc. Oh yeah and Osprey with 4 plates.
  12. Not having been yet* I think it would be interesting for someone to put up an average patrol packing list, Opsec permitting just to see the load.

*and when I do go later on it's def not in the fighting role, more a camp rat.
  13. To get an average of weight carried for your daughters project, you are going to need a fair few replies and from different units.

I know that Royal Engineer sappers carry shedloads of equipment when out on the ground in search teams etc.

We used to carry about 120 lbs in equipment/ammo/water/weapon, but that was before you had to wear any body armour, let alone the Osprey armour.