Body armour stories?

Too much snow and too much time, thought I would ask a question.

Has anyone here a personal story about body armour actually saving their lives or preventing an injury? Do people sometimes just ditch it and cary more useful kit, or buy their own armour (i heard talk of something called dragon skin at my old unit from someone who had been working with septics, some kind of scale based mail!)

Thank god for it saved my life in iraq when my wagon took an RPG still have lots of titanium bits holding my back together with out the armour i would not be here now.

There is also no dispensation to 'not' wear it at any time whist on the ground.
Although no formal dispensation, it was often the case in the summer months that IEDD operators would remove their body armour. I would remove mine to cool down and I know of operators who would remove it at the device end.

Almost all of us removed our lids whilst working over a device, no point wearing it.

Mybody armour definitely saved my life, all my injuries are below the bottom level of the plates.

You're right dingerr. We always took off body armour and helmets once inside a compound unless we weren't staying for a short while, though obviously donned it on stag or once we moved out.

YES, why do you ask
Well I dont want to open a can of worms, but, I am going abroad next month to china getting some things made up for work, and the factory can pretty much make anything in clothing. I was going to put in a design to them for some MOLLE vests etc in MTP as I have some interesting ideas and as I will be there anyway, they can throw together some prototypes. I am trying to work out if there is much point designing kit to be used without body armour- for instance what is the point of going to efforts to make it ventilated air gaps between clothing/rig if there is going to be a fuckoff great chunk of osprey there anyway. If body armour is going to be here to stay for all future OP then I will work my design into that bases. If tales are comming back from the front that people are unhappy with it, or using their own plates/inserts, I can work that into the design. Either way cost is going to be less than £10 per vest and some mongs are asking £120+ for these things, so it is worth my time to do it.

Looks like I let it out of the bag now.

Well I dont want to open a can of worms, but, I am going abroad next month to china getting some things made up for work, and the factory can pretty much make anything in clothing. I was going to put in a design to them for some MOLLE vests etc in MTP as I have some interesting ideas and as I will be there anyway, they can throw together some prototypes. I am trying to work out if there is much point designing kit to be used without body armour- for instance what is the point of going to efforts to make it ventilated air gaps between clothing/rig if there is going to be a fuckoff great chunk of osprey there anyway. If body armour is going to be here to stay for all future OP then I will work my design into that bases. If tales are comming back from the front that people are unhappy with it, or using their own plates/inserts, I can work that into the design. Either way cost is going to be less than £10 per vest and some mongs are asking £120+ for these things, so it is worth my time to do it.

Looks like I let it out of the bag now.
So after realising that you were in fact a work-shy fat **** in this thread you've decided to try your hand at kit building so that you can still be a war hero without actually having to go anywhere dangerous?

You're as bad as the boffin bloke who wants to make rifle grenades. If you're so desperate to find out about Osprey, get off your arrse and go and play with it for real.

So after realising that you were in fact a work-shy fat **** in this thread you've decided to try your hand at kit building so that you can still be a war hero without actually having to go anywhere dangerous?

You're as bad as the boffin bloke who wants to make rifle grenades. If you're so desperate to find out about Osprey, get off your arrse and go and play with it for real.

Actually, since then I have sorted out my fitness, transferred RAMC and now have a genuine interest in this field as could be looking at deployment. Christ, Some of you lot have got real chips on your shoulders!

Actually, since then I have sorted out my fitness, transferred RAMC and now have a genuine interest in this field as could be looking at deployment. Christ, Some of you lot have got real chips on your shoulders!
You think, maybe its the case that a decent search engine throws up hits. You asked you were answered.

Your genuine interest is this financial or RAMC(V) based, after all are you going to discover a better system that has a established industry already.

Enjoy China drink loads eat loads most important remember to learn some basic words of politeness.

If you are succesful, I will offer a lifetimes supply of Jersey Royals for your staple diet.

Your genuine interest is this financial or RAMC(V) based, after all are you going to discover a better system that has a established industry already.
Never tried to say I could do anything better than anyone else. I know there is established systems out there already, and you are probably aware that most are being made in China. There are systems to be worn with plates included and armour underneath, and without armour, etc. Some people I have spoken to find it all gets too hot, I was wondering if there would be a way to place air ventilation in them the way that some rucksack manufacturers do in theirs by suspended wire. My main thought was, if I can get a good price in China, then there would be a chance I could have some shipped back here for good discounts. After all, looking at the order we are placing in China, the chances are the container would be a third empty. If I could get MOLLE kit for 20% of the price of some online stores and offer it for sale on arrse for 50% off RRP with the remainder going into service charities I didn’t see it as a bad thing, as everyone wins. But I seem to have a different way of looking at the world than most people here it would seem!

Never tried to say I could do anything better than anyone else. I know there is established systems out there already, and you are probably aware that most are being made in China. There are systems to be worn with plates included and armour underneath, and without armour, etc. Some people I have spoken to find it all gets too hot, I was wondering if there would be a way to place air ventilation in them the way that some rucksack manufacturers do in theirs by suspended wire. My main thought was, if I can get a good price in China, then there would be a chance I could have some shipped back here for good discounts. After all, looking at the order we are placing in China, the chances are the container would be a third empty. If I could get MOLLE kit for 20% of the price of some online stores and offer it for sale on arrse for 50% off RRP with the remainder going into service charities I didn’t see it as a bad thing, as everyone wins. But I seem to have a different way of looking at the world than most people here it would seem!
I hate to inform you but most soldiers buying bespoke kit solutions do so from high quality British tailors not cheap chinese sweatshops where the thread all falls out after half an hour of wear.

You'd make more money taking a broken BOWMAN battery to China and having them disect it to make a Bowman Battery - USB (female) cable, so that people could charge their phones and ipods off the radio batteries. It'd be far more popular and actually have a purpose that isn't already fulfilled by hundreds of other well established designs from hundreds of other well established manufacturers.

What makes you think that as an oxygen-thieving MTD-wasting un-deployed trainee TA RAMC medic that you're in a better position to make equipment than anybody else on here? Just because you're going to china where kit is cheap, and you asked some people on ARRSE, it doesn't make you the latest gift to the world of professional soldiering. You're probably best focussing on having a fun holiday and shagging the Chinese birds, who are supposedly good fun.