Body armour shortage

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by woody, Apr 21, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1.      The press is claiming one of the casualties in the
    gulf was  caused by the lack of ceramic plates in indvidiuals body armour .Anyone know if there was a lack of  plates ? if so where does buck stop ?
    should Hoon resign ?

2. he shouldnt resign.just swap places with my mates...most of them would be more than willing!!...fair deal i say

3. there was definatly no shortage of body armour or plates when i was there i couldn't give the stuff away, and nobody wanted me to back load it

4. During the early days of Op Telic, there were shortages of body armour, and in particualr the ceramic plates, several SNCO's were asked to hand theirs to the QM, rather than take them of the boys.

How wide the shortage though I am not certain.

5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I was there at the beginning of Op TELIC. Yes there was a shortage of plates and indeed covers for body armour. We all took our kevlar body wrap jobby on the instruction that the Desert DPM cover and cermaic plate would be issued in theatre.

I would like to say that at the time I blamed JFLogC for failing to produce this kit (as well as a lot of other kit). After seeing some other evidence and spoken with a number of people the blame lies squarely at the Government. DLO wanted to procure the equipment, wanted to send it to theatre but the political decision came too late for it to arrive and then be distributed effectively and on time.

So what, I and a lot of other guys went on warfighting operations with the Kevlar wrapped around our bodies using rape tape and putting our shirts over the top.

Ps, 1 x morphine phial between 4, no NBC pack on the vehicle, 1 x training NBC suit and no spare,.... I could go on but what's the point?

6. mysteron

However, the statement that someone died because of a lack is partially true. Yes he did die, (RIP TC) but it was not all down to a lack of body armour, although it may have saved him. I am not going to dance on a man grave. Government should be called accountable, will they..no they won't and probably never will.

7. mysteron

However, the statement that someone died because of a lack is partially true. Yes he did die, (RIP TC) but it was not all down to a lack of body armour, although it may have saved him. I am not going to dance on a man grave. Government should be called accountable, will they..no they won't and probably never will.